Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
PSE Ferocity, Elite Enlist, some KTBs
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have quite a few "older" aluminium arrows I want to reuse.
Anyone knowing a method to remove these nocks and inserts in a non-destructive way ?
I mean, except a flame ?

Writing implement Office supplies Purple Pen Stationery

By the way, the three non-golden arrows are Eastons, from the mid '90s.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Safety wise I do not know how to remove the nocks without ruining them. You can apply heat to a field point screwed into the inserts to remove the insert

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
If you are not in a hurry, acetone would eventually get them off.
You can speed that up by cutting the nocks close to the aluminum with a utility knife.
If the adhesive is old, you can clamp the nock in a vise, and twist them off. Screw a FP in the insert, and use an electric drill to grab on the FP, set drill on the slower hi-torque speed. Usually they pop right off.

FWIW, I used aluminums, a lot of them, in the days before carbon. I never glued them, just twisted them on.

·
Registered
8,171 Posts
Anyone knowing a method to remove these nocks and inserts in a non-destructive way ?
I mean, except a flame ?

View attachment 7465528

Getting the old nocks off is fairly easy, but the real challenge is finding new ones to replace them. If they're not damaged, I wouldn't recommend tearing them off because of that.

I believe Easton doesn't make this style of nock anymore, so what I'd do personally is locate a set of them somewhere - maybe NOS in your local shop, etc. - before I tried taking them off.

They're a perfectly good style of nock, if you use a good old-school cement like NPV, etc. and you're careful about getting them on straight. I always applied them by hand carefully twisting them in place. And then spin-testing the completed shaft and checking for any wobble in the nock...

lee.

·
Genesis 21:20
23,936 Posts
Without making them unusable? I don't know how to do that and I don't recommend it. And I've removed a ton of those too.

Lancasters or Three Rivers will be able to help you with new nocks. Go that route to be safe.

·
Lowered expectations
18,162 Posts
You can carefully cut them off if you avoid contacting the metal taper. Once they’re glued, though, heat is the best and safest.

Then you need to remove the residual glue. Lacquer thinner is the proper product, assuming they’ve been glued on with the proper (lacquer-based) glue.

If you’ve damaged the nock taper, there’s a repair tool, hard to find now (called a KD or KAD or something like that) which can precisely re-grind most slightly damaged tapers.

Household hardware Metal Nickel Gas Cleanliness

Household hardware Currency Coin Gas Nickel

Point inserts, again heat. With hot melt, super easy, hardly an inconvenience. If they’re glued on with CA or epoxy, you can get away with far more heat than on a carbon arrow.

·
Just thwackin' it.
7,378 Posts
You are best off finding replacements because you will ruin them getting them off. They aren't hard to find online. sometimes you'll get lucky and a pro shop will have some. AAE and Bohning should still make plenty.

·
Huntoholic
1,849 Posts
Anything wrong with a pocket knife? I hope not, over my lifetime I have remover hundreds of nocks from aluminium arrows with a pocket knife or utility knife.

I assume the non destructive part is applied to the shaft, not the nock, I have no clue as to how to remove them in a non destructive way for the nock.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
There are no inserts on the nock end. The aluminum is swedged (tapered) and nocks glued on. Heat em’ and twist them off. Clean off old glue residue. Replace with new ones!

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
I mean, except a flame ?

View attachment 7465528

Easton offers an insert that allows you to use the modern style nocks that have a neck that presses into the insert. I converted a couple of dozen old arrows this spring and it worked great. Just used a pipe cutter to cut off the taper, hot glued/pressed in the inserts and added new nocks.
Wood Musical instrument Garden tool Grass Plant

By the way these arrows were from early 90's and the original nocks were splitting when I tried to shoot them...kinda scary, so the new inserts and nocks were my solution.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Do you want to replace the nocks or remove the nocks and swedged taper to replace with a newer style nock and insert?
I had some X7's with the old style nock taper. I cut the taper off with an arrow saw and replaced with an insert and G-nock. Much simpler than glue on nock style. Also gives you the ability to turn the nock index for best rest clearance.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
As others have said, cut the nocks off with a utility knife, there's no way to save them if that's what you are asking.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
As others have said, cut the nocks off with a utility knife, there's no way to save them if that's what you are asking.
Yeah, those were typically super glued on. If so, then the amount of work to save 1 dollar worth of nocks just isn't worth it.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
That's how we rolled back in the dark ages. We used to just cut those off with a knife when they broke and glue on another one, when they were plentiful. Now, you could cut off that tapered end and replace it with a nock bushing and a super nock, if it doesn't change your arrow specs too much. Those will probably soon be difficult to find too.

·
(aka lug nut)
51,242 Posts
Do you want to replace the nocks or remove the nocks and swedged taper to replace with a newer style nock and insert?
I had some X7's with the old style nock taper. I cut the taper off with an arrow saw and replaced with an insert and G-nock. Much simpler than glue on nock style. Also gives you the ability to turn the nock index for best rest clearance.
Cut off the pointed taper.
Purchase matching size Easton Unibushing.
You can hot melt the unibushing into the arrow shaft.

Then, after unibushing is installed, you can use Easton push in G-nocks.
Larger diameter aluminum arrows will use the Easton Super Uni-bushing and the Easton Super Nock.

·
Registered
PSE Ferocity, Elite Enlist, some KTBs
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I assume the non destructive part is applied to the shaft, not the nock, ...
Yes, of course. Should have mentioned this.
I will try the knife method, and then heat if it doesn't work as expected.

I would like the "convert" the shafts to normal nocks or pin bushings which are available now.
The golden shafts are 2219, far too heavy and stiff for my draw weight. But they make good crossbow arrows.
And since all the fletchings are still fine, I was looking for a method to get the nock/insert off without damaging or shortening the shaft.

Thanks for the recommendations, and I will be back with results.

By the way, the Easton shafts read "Eagle" (in contrast to "Gamegetter" or "XX75").

·
Registered
19,986 Posts
Eagles were a lower grade of shaft. You have nocks that are working now why would you want to replace them? Easiest I found was pliers & grab nock where it isn't on the aluminum & twist slightly & usually pop off or use a knife & cut them off.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I always took pliers and twisted them off. What nock is left, just take a knife and scrape it off. No way to remove them intact. Just cut the old nock end and you can buy the uni bushings and Easton super nocks from Lancaster.

·
Huntoholic
1,849 Posts
Talk about absent minded, I threw away a zip lock bag full of nocks for aluminum arrows just a few weeks ago in a archery tackel box clean up, I would have sent them to anyone that wanted them for free, sorry guys, I just wasn't thinking.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts