Archery Talk Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
just take a utility razor blade ant scrape/cut them off these nocks are easy to buy on ebay they are just glue on nocks check the easton chart for the size nock u need for those arrows no problem they are avaiable

·
Registered
PSE Ferocity, Elite Enlist, some KTBs
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
You have nocks that are working now why would you want to replace them?
At least for the 2219 arrows. As mantioned, far too heavy and stiff for any of my bows, I bought a bunch of them 6 or 7 years ago.
Not going to waste them, I want to remove the nocks, and insert flat or moon nocks instead. And shorten them to 16" for my crossbow.

Anyway, these nocks are far too tight and well-glued for a knife.
But heating works, without damaging the fletchings. Only the shafts get too hot to the touch near the inserts.
By the way, these inserts reach a half-inch into the shaft, and have a tiny hole in the end of the cone. It seems Easton is smarter than the Ranch Fairy ...;)

·
Lowered expectations
18,207 Posts
Anyone considering converting their aluminums from glue-on to insert nocks, keep in mind that some sizes/models of aluminum arrows had an additional step-down for the last inch or so of the shaft, before the taper began. That was so a smaller nock could be used.

In order to install a nock insert, you’d have to cut above that step-down, and lose an inch or so of shaft length, plus have to remove the fletching. So, examine your arrows closely first.

Also, as kballer1 said, Eagles were a lower grade, very soft metal. We used to call them “one shot” arrows because they would bend very easily. Suggest you check them for straightness.

·
Registered
20,055 Posts
If making Xbow arrows out of them NO need to remove the nocks, just cut the shafts & the nocks are gone & install the Xbow nock.

·
Registered
11,993 Posts
I take a pair of pliers & lightly squeez the sides of the nock. They will crack. Then just pull them off & clean the end with a knife. EBAY has lots for sale. What size ? I have several differert ones. I bought 10,000 a couple years ago at a out of business sale, various sizes, tyes (All glue ons). Sold then by the 50s 100s on ebay.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I take a pair of pliers & lightly squeez the sides of the nock. They will crack. Then just pull them off & clean the end with a knife. EBAY has lots for sale.
The insert with the cone was more of a problem.
The nock came off quickly, but the insert required about 15 seconds.
Not having discarded this insert yet, 11/32" nocks for wood arrows match perfectly.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
boiling water for about 8 mins
That works fine for removing the vanes. Just put in boiling water for 15 to twenty seconds, and they come off easily.
I tried this with other aluminium arrows (with pin inserts, and the pins removed).
In this case, I wanted to avoid damaging the fletchings.

·
The Impartial Archer
19,966 Posts
OP don't try to reuse those nocks especially for a cross bow. WAY to much power for that style nock. Heck even if they were new they might not take that much power let alone the fact they are at least 25 year old plastic.

Order these 2219 Super nock bushing and some nocks to fit them. I'm not sure what nock it would be for XBows but many shoot aluminum bolts so it should be easy to figure that part out. Cut the end that has the nock on it and leave the inserts in them so you only have to cut them once.

If you are OCD and want the labels still on then cut them twice. I wouldn't use those nocks (especially after taking them off and trying to re-use them) for a Xbow. Good luck

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
OP don't try to reuse those nocks especially for a cross bow. WAY to much power for that style nock.
Yes, sure.
These nock are unusable for crossbow purposes anyway. The arrow is confined by the rail and a kind of flat spring that keeps it down, so xbow arrows have no (and need no) click-on nocks.
And yes, I had already been looking out for matching crossbow nocks.
I intend to use them on a medium power xbow (150lbs, 240fps), not a 400+ fps monster.
These arrows were a classical mispurchase, but I just don't want to throw them away ...

And for the few other Eastons I want to keep as is, the aluminium cone perfectly matches with 11/32" nocks for wood arrows. A smart move on Easton's side I suppose.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts