Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have carbon and aluminum arrows but still hunt with Easton 2413 aluminums and love them. Do you still hunt with aluminum arrows?

·
Registered
486 Posts
I'm back to shooting aluminums this year.
Had a carbon blow up last year,and thank God n Jesus I didn't get a scratch.
It did ,however,blow apart my bow.
I'm liking shooting aluminum better,and now know I'm not missing a thing.
Aluminum is stronger,hits harder and costs less.
Plus if my 2219s get bent ot Robin hooded,I cut em down to 20" and make my crossbow bolts out of them.
Kinda like getting 2 for 1.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Plus it is a lot easier to hot melt the points or inserts into the aluminum shafts. I like the 2219 shafts for hunting because they weigh 13.8 gpi and I don't have to add any weight to the front end of the shaft. My hunting arrow weighs approx. 685 grains total arrow weight.

I am shooting a lot a carbon shafts for matches. If I have one of the carbon shafts blow up or come apart, I will probably sell that group of shafts and replace them with Easton aluminum shafts.

·
Registered
210 Posts
This will be my first year hunting with carbons hunted and shot 3d 15 0r so years years with aluminum, 2315's still have a half dozen of them.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I went back to XX75 2317's last year for hunting. Really like to they way they tuned up with my broadheads

·
BIG FRANK....
8,510 Posts
Yep.all of mine are aluminum..

·
Registered
Moxie Antigen. Hoyt Carbon Spyder.
1,171 Posts
2215's for me out of my 50# hunting set up w/ Magnus Stinger broadheads. Love shooting aluminums! Carbons have their place for my other set-ups.

·
Registered
486 Posts
2215's for me out of my 50# hunting set up w/ Magnus Stinger broadheads. Love shooting aluminums! Carbons have their place for my other set-ups.
I'm going to try those Magnus stingers this year. After going back to aluminum, I'm finding helping everytsimple really is best,and a 2 blade does great. Heard nothing but good about em,so buying a couple packs.
Figured at 50lbs and an aluminum shaft,they'll hit hard and punch right thru most anything.

·
The Impartial Archer
18,793 Posts
I say this all the time if you hunt, don't shoot for groups, don't miss a lot of targets and don't like arrows that start with 3XX or even 4XX then aluminum arrows are a really good choice for many reasons. Reasons many people don't understand because they never have tried them or have just heard the old cliches.

Now if you want a less than a 475 grain hunting arrow or pile arrows into a 3 D target etc....then I agree 100% that carbon is the only way to go.

·
Registered
79 Posts
i practice and hunt with 2117 aluminum arrows, never really cared for carbons, and still shoot 2016 and 2018 aluminum with my trad bow's

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Planning on going back to them after I finish up with the carbons I have now. Really looking forward to going back.

·
Registered
11,590 Posts
I started in 1956. Aluminums for everything since the late 60s. Did the Carbons 2 years around 2000 (killed 5 animals). Never satisfied with them. Went back to Aluminum. Use them for Tournaments & hunting. I "usually" shoot lots of tournaments (Target, field, 3-Ds) with lots of "carbon" shooters. No more or even less damage than others. I use 1716s & 1913s out side tourny & now have a set of 2712s for indoor. Hunting I use 2216s & 2219s & a 3 blade 125gr fixed head. They have served me well & for me, a much better arrow.

Attachments

·
The Foam Collector
2,335 Posts
I still shoot aluminum for spots and may shoot them this hunting season as well. Many a game animal has fallen to an aluminum arrow

·
Registered
434 Posts
Been bowhunting for 31 years. Hunted a total of 1 year with carbons in 2007. Yes I killed deer with carbons that year, but went straight back to aluminum the very next year. Both my sons shoot aluminum as well. Just soooo easy to tune a bow when your able to get the exact spine you need, arrow to arrow tolerances second to none, and the extra arrow weight really lends itself to a quieter bow with far less vibration. Not to mention penetration. We'll shoot aluminum as long as Easton keeps making them. Which hopefully is FOREVER.

·
Vendor
25,429 Posts
Over the years I killed a lot of deer with aluminium. Switched to Carbon back in early 2000. I like the fact that they are straight or broke. I do check them before shooting them and have never had one blow up. If I ever do have one blow up, I may rethink what I'm shooting.:set1_thinking:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts