Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Calling all aluminum arrow fans!

I've formed a group on FB just for aluminum arrow fans to discuss all things related to shooting aluminum arrows. Just search for Alloy Archers United. Enjoy!

·
Registered
11,335 Posts
Awesome. Been an Aluminum shooter since the late 60s. Did Carbons 2 years (did kill 5 animals) but never got the results from them I wanted as I did from Aluminums. My aluminums in the target have the "red" feathers, 50 yds.. They serve me well & for me, less damage than a carbon & less $$.
1912 Platinum Plus for Target, Field, 3-D & 2216s or 2219s hunting..

Attachments

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@ahunter55 I knew you'd be the first to jump in!

@edthearcher, well you may be of the mindset that with the revelation of carbon aluminum is obsolete. I assure you it is not. This is also not a statement that carbon is any less good.

Advantages over carbon (in no particular order):
- straightness
Yes you can match the straightness but not at the same cost.

- safety
nough said.

- spine consistency.
This one is *huge*. Most don't realize that their mid range GT, CX and easton's are all the rated spine. Some differ as much a .025 across half a dozen. That's almost not "tunable". To some that may be acceptable but to me, it's not.

- overall cost
To match the quality (remember tolerances in aluminum are significantly tighter than carbon) of an aluminum Camo Hunter or XX78 you're looking at 15 bucks a shaft whereas the average in aluminum is about 5 or 6. So for every 3 I break, bend, loose I'm even on cost. Most of us that have shot aluminums for years can vouch that they last way longer than most realize or imply.

- durability
This is possibly one of the biggest misconceptions. "they bend too easily". That's only true with the very thin wall shafts which frankly, is more a matter of incorrect choice. If you're hunting you should have a 15/64 thickness and up. I shoot a 2317 right now and can assure everyone that in comparison to a mainstream carbon shaft; it's actually more durable.

So what purpose does this server? IMO allot. For one it gets the word back out that aluminum is an affordable and viable choice whether you shoot a longbow, recurve old or new compound. It's fun! For me there is a huge degree of nostalgia. I shoot xx75's from the age of like..3? It brings me back, I like it. There is room for improvement. I was just chatting with a company that if I get my way, and it looks like I will (awesome group of guys there) we will have a new insert that will greatly "change the game" of aluminum arrows as we know it. I don't do things ventures for profit so 100% of the knowledge I gain will be posted in Alloy Archers.

So, to answer the question of what purpose does this serve? I would simply say, why not?

I know I'm coming on strong and you don't mean to put me on defense. It's all good. I'm just very passionate about this and I'm moreso speaking to those who will come on here and try to ridicule waht they think is a group of hippies trying to relive the past. Aluminum is back baby!

·
edthearcher
6,482 Posts
thank you for replying, yes i do agree with every thing you said, thats why i switched to aluminum 15 years ago a will get on your FB thaks

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I like 468 gr. arrow setup so 2314 and 2216 is what shoots the best outa my rigs...was at 525gr. back in the 90's

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thank you for replying, yes i do agree with every thing you said, thats why i switched to aluminum 15 years ago a will get on your FB thaks
See you there Ed!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like 468 gr. arrow setup so 2314 and 2216 is what shoots the best outa my rigs...was at 525gr. back in the 90's
I'm at 665 ;)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
I shot aluminums for a long time, and for years after most switched to carbons. But I went to carbons a few years ago and I can't see ever going back to aluminums. But, to each his own.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I don't do fb but I'm all for aluminum.
I don't do Facebook in the usual sense either. You can sign up and just follow groups you have interest in. You don't have to friend anyone. You don't have to see what your co worker had for dinner. Try it. If you don't like it, quit,

·
The Impartial Archer
17,898 Posts
what purpose does this serve, i use alum also so not trying to be a smart alec. carbon shafts are proven to be great arrows.
I dunno.........lets pretend for a minute this a form where people that love archery talk about the pro's & con's of archery equipment? I'm in.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Bought a few cheap carbons at WM to try 'em out in the yard. Shot two Robin Hoods with them and ended up using them on hogs. Never shot one at a deer and with my stash of 2215s I doubt I ever will.

As far as durability, I have a set of 5 XX75s I use as my practice set and have been shooting them into a layered carpet target for about 9 years for 3 of them---and they are still straight although a bit more shiny.

I use them because at 525 gr out of an Elite Hunter at 56lbs, they are quiet to my ears.

·
Registered
11,335 Posts
I have experimented with assorted sizes of Aluminums for various reasons over many years.. In the early 70s I shot outdoor Field with a 45# Compound, 20% let off & a 28" 1614 X7 with a 80 grain target tip. I wanted speed for targets & did that deliver. I think I was on the blow up anytime & the limbs on that compound were #2s for max 25#s I think. I had s many pass through's at the huge Clinton Indiana Bowhunter Jamboree (like 4-5000 shooters) I had a spotter to witness all my targets.

I can take my 70% let off 60# Darton & with very little trouble tuning shoot 1913s, 2117, 2213, 2216 & 2219s all 29" & 125 gr tip. I switch from 1913s on targets all summer to usually 2216s to hunt & just adjust my sight up/down. Works for me & I doubt I could go to extremes with carbons & get away with so much..

Outdoor pics 1913s, Indoor 2213s & 2216s, all 29" 125gr tip same Darton bow, same 60#s , same prong rest, same release.. works for me..

Attachments

·
The Impartial Archer
17,898 Posts

·
The Impartial Archer
17,898 Posts
I shoot FMJs...does that count? :D
No, they bend too easy.........lol. Really I'm not joking as much as you think. I shot them for two years and the problem I had was they were much lighter and I wasn't get pass-throughs as often and when the deer ran off they bent the arrows. I did like the fact the pulled easy from targets and fletching & refletching was easier but I couldn't justify the extra money didn't want to look into inserts etc to get the weight up.

The 2315's at 525gr only stop if they hit the spine.....regardless of what some people say here a 500+ grain arrow off a modern 65 pound bow with the right broad head will bust a deer's leg bone like a twig. IMHO the people that say you can't and if you hit the leg bone or shoulder knuckle shoot light arrows and mechanical heads so they can't even imagine the difference.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts