Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please excuse the dumb question ; for whitetail deerstand hunting which is best ? With Respect - Moose

·
Registered
826 Posts
it really is not a dumb question but a question asked often,next time try doing a search and you can see the different opinions. this is my opinion I have shot many deer with both but I am staying with aluminum because I feel i am more accurate at longer distances with aluminum then carbon I have not tested the newer carbon arrows that came out this year so I cannot say anything about them and there are pros and cons with carbon and aluminum I could write a book on the two different arrows but carbon arrows are the most popular because most of the hunters prefer the lighter weight of carbon to gain speed, with carbon you have to be careful of cracks that may develope from missing or having another arrow hitting your carbon arrow. Carbon arrows are tough they can take more abuse then aluminum and with aluminum you risk bending them. carbon arrows will work over a broader bow weight range and with aluminum you have to be more peticular on your arrow sizes. if you are going to use carbon I would reconmend carbon express but this is my opinion.if any one else replys to this I am sure they can mention some items that I did not mention and the bottom line is both arrows will work it is what you feel most comfortable with. browse the internet and read up on both arrows or go to your local archery shop and talk to them about both. hope this helps you out

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
I love my carbons. I like the speed I get and the tight pin gap. But then again it really doesn't matter at 20 yards and under. I will say this, my carbons way outlast my aluminums.

·
Registered
17,864 Posts
Aluminums
Anything that will damage an aluminum will damage a carbon. If a deer falls on your aluminum it's bent and may be straightened. If a deer falls on your carbon it's either broken or internally damaged and dangerous to shoot. May as well go for the cheaper one to damage or lose for hunting.

It's also easier to get heavier weights in the proper spine with aluminum. Weight gives you momentum which is too often overlooked in bowhunting.

You can heat up and spin your inserts with aluminum to tune a stubborn head.

Carbon stands above with speed/light weight, but speed is not what is needed for whitetail.

·
When's bow season start?
8,909 Posts
Everybody has their opinions, so I guess I'll add mine! :rofl:

Personally, I have made the switch back to aluminum arrows. 99.9999% of my bowhunting is for whitetails from a treestand. So far the farthest I have arrowed a deer is 35 yards, but the average is 20 yards or less. Aluminum arrows are (for me) more accurate, quieter and really hit with authority. I consider myself handicapped in no way using aluminums over carbons under these conditions, and in fact I think there are several plusses.

If you buy decent carbons I'm sure you will be satisfied with them, but I think you would be satisfied with aluminums, too.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Aluminum is stronger and stiffer than wood and carbon is stiffer than aluminum. The recovery properties vary as well. Cabon oscillates faster with less deflection-from-straight through its bending and recovery than does aluminum, which means that carbon can recover from its initial-thrust bending in less time provided that all other construction characteristics are held equal. This recover-rate is also true for carbon at impact. The carbon vibrates less side-to-side than aluminum on impact and thereforedelivers more of its energy in-line. The net result is more penetration. Taken from Arrow Trade magazine by Larry Wise.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Well yes they both will work, but I believe that carbons possess the best attribute of any type of arrow, plus they are the most cost effective choice. Remember carbon doesn't bend like aluminum does.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I like carbons a lot better and I wouldn't think of going back to aluminum arrows....I'm rough on my arrows especially out in the yard shooting and aluminums just won't hold up. Carbons are tough and can take a beating and still work great.

·
Registered
487 Posts
For me carbons have outlasted my aluminums hands down,even the slightest bend and aluminums are spent and tests have shown that carbons recover from occilation much faster then aluminums.
Having said that,aluminums worked well for me for 28yrs.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
I really enjoyed shooting my XX78's for the past couple of years...sweet shafts.

That being said...it sucked when I found that all but one of my arrows in the quiver were bent. I could have been offered a shot of a lifetime on a nice buck and blown it by shooting a bananna shaped arrow at him.

I've gone to graphite and prefer the durability there.

·
Registered
17,864 Posts
MSP21 said:
Remember carbon doesn't bend like aluminum does.
Wanna bet?
I've got two GT UL Pros that do not break from flexing or twisting but they are nowhere near .001" any more.
Technically they're broke, but realistically pulling them out of the target and spinning them they're bent. If they weren't checked specifically for straightness they would not be culled for being bent.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I like carbon for all the reasons already mentioned but also remember there are some super heavy carbon arrows out there too that will give the same punch as aluminum.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts