Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It really seems to me after experimenting a little that similar spine marked carbon reacts much stiffer. For example, i have a bow that seems to do very well with .610 spine 27 inch aluminum and 125 points. I experimented with some carbons that were 28.5, 75 grain inserts and they would not straighten out even with 225 grain points.
Is this odd or have others found this to be true?

·
Archery curmudgeon
2,785 Posts
What spine were the carbons? When carbons get cut shorter like that they do get awfully stiff. I have .500s cut to 30.5" with 125 gr points and they shoot the exact same as .600s cut to 28.5" with 50 gr inserts and 145 gr points. They'll both shoot out of bows from 36# to 45#. I only know the old designations for aluminums like 1916, 2013, etc.

·
Civil but Disobedient
7,248 Posts
It is not really a fair test unless you are using a 600 spine carbon. Overloading the front of the arrow makes the arrow intrinsically different.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Whut Hank sed.

There is another aspect that can added to that. The synthetics are supposed to be specced with ASTM method. Shaft set on supports 28" apart 1.94# weight hung in middle. Measure deflection at middle in .001" of an inch. If you get Easton aluminums, then yep, spec is spec. But with carbons, one manufacturer's 600 may spec at 590, and the other guy's spec at 610. Stuff like that.

Then we throw on top of that the fact that yes, if you can find an aluminum and a carbon that actually DO match in static spec, 600 to 600, or whatever, the carbon will recover from the release induced flex and oscillations in less time than the aluminum will.

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I have some 600 carbon to try, just need to be able to add enough weight to the front to get my total arrow weight high enough.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts