Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a real difference between shooting aluminum vs carbon

Why are carbon arrows always measured in grains and alum never seem to be

Is there a way to translate alum size into grains?

Thanks in advance

What is your prefernece

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
Are you talking about arrow weight? Aluminum weight is also listed as grains per inch.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am referrring to weight

I have never seen alum arrows listed with grains per inch only a numerical size

·
Registered
6,765 Posts
I am referrring to weight

I have never seen alum arrows listed with grains per inch only a numerical size
All aluminum arrows are listed with the gpi if the information is looked up. I have yet to recall a carbon arrow with gpi marked. Maybe there are some out there.
Aluminum numbering is as follows

EXAMPLE

23/64 of an inch wide, outer diamater. 17/10000 of an inch, wall thickness

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
The Easton Shaft Selector shows the grains per inch for the different shaft sizes.

·
Registered
6,765 Posts
Aluminum arrows are (in general) more consistent in spine, weight tolerance, and straightness than even high end hunting carbon arrows. Some aluminum arrows will bend easily if they are mistreated (shot at non-arrow targets, such as metal and rock), normally the thin walled ones are prone to bending if mistreated. Aluminum arrows also offer a much larger number of options as to what arrow you want to shoot, as they are made in MANY more spine sizes. Many aluminums are made of various diameters and wall thicknesses with the same spine, allowing choices between light and fast, or slower but more durable. Top quality aluminum arrows (such as Easton XX78s) are relatively cheap, around $70 a dozen for shafts.

Carbon arrows are more durable (depending on the shot). They are also much more expensive.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
many thanks

I have found that gold tip expedition hunter arrows cost less than most alum arrows

are they any good and how do they compare with alum

·
Registered
6,765 Posts
Spine isn't really consistant.

They are anything but straight.

They could be more durable...but that depends on the shot. I would have broken a lot of carbons by now from back end hits (carbons are very vulnerable to it), unless you put some sort of bushing in the carbon arrow, or pin nock.

Durability....usually depends on where your arrows are getting hit.

If you are a newer shooter, you probably won't know the difference in tolerances. If you are a more experianced shooter, you probably will.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i am a relatively new shooter but getting to the point of being intermediate

i am shooting a martin Cheetah at 60 lbs

any recommendations

1 - 10 of 10 Posts