Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the story:

I dislocated and tore my rotater cup in my left shoulder about 4 months ago. I currently shoot a Mathews Drenalin but with my shoulder injury i cant pull my dang bow back anymore. I've always thought that crossbows were kinda cheating, but it looks like it may now be my only way to bow hunt. Has anyone had a similar situation?

·
canadian content
2,181 Posts
Get out there and hunt.Opinions can change.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Yes Sr. Your not alone i have both screwed up and Doc won't operate bad ticker so i live with x bow. Not to bad, just clumzy.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Do what ya gotta do. Its about the hunt, not the weapon of choice.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Nothing wrong with a person who can't physically pull a bow back from using an x bow. Good luck

·
Registered
261 Posts
I switched because of the same thing 3 years ago[same shoulder]. I can now pull back my bow so I will be using it this year. If things get sore, back to the crossbow I go. I also use the crossbow to hunt with my 10 year old son who can't hunt with his bow yet.There is no shame in it at all. Think of it as a way to hunt for now, and you can go back to your bow when you are better. Worst case, you have a crossbow for a back up.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
You won't think that using a crossbow is cheating once you start using one. They have the same range, or less, of a compound bow and are kinda awkward to carry through the woods. I hunt with both depending on the situation.

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
trust me once you start using a crossbow you'll understand its not really much of an advantage, just different pros and cons than a compound. But you'll be in the woods during one of the best times of the year which is huge advantage to your mental health.

·
One Shot
9,181 Posts
I had surgery during deer season 4 yrs ago. I looked into the xbow but in my state the paperwork takes over a month for approval. I bought a left handed bow and shot it with a mouth tab. Got me out hunting.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
You won't think that using a crossbow is cheating once you start using one. They have the same range, or less, of a compound bow and are kinda awkward to carry through the woods. I hunt with both depending on the situation.
Well said. I don't use my XBow much, and I love having the option. I would like to harvest an animal with it this season.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Am I a cop-out?
Here's the story:

I dislocated and tore my rotater cup in my left shoulder about 4 months ago. I currently shoot a Mathews Drenalin but with my shoulder injury i cant pull my dang bow back anymore. I've always thought that crossbows were kinda cheating, but it looks like it may now be my only way to bow hunt. Has anyone had a similar situation?
Only a cop-out if you quit hunting. Get an x-bow, shoot a buck, show me a pic.

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
Get out there and kill something! Don't matter to me how you do it

1 - 20 of 36 Posts