Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been tuning in my 2003 cybertec (cam and 1/2)and was wondering how I'm doing?

poundage : 65lbs
draw length : 29"
arrow wt: 369 gr.
sims leaches
d-loop
brass nock
peep
speed about 265 fps

What do you think? Should I be faster or am I about right?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Seems a little slow -should be in 285 range that arrow weight does that include your piont,do you have custom strings on it?
Also get rid of the brass nock and use string nocks that will give u about 5 to 8 fps more.Also speed nocks for your arrows will give you 4 to 5 fps more.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply speed-freak.

I felt I was a little slow as well. Yes the arrow wt. includes the point.

Do you think a lighter peep, speed nocks, and string nocks on the arrow will get me around 285? It seems like a lot.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Running your setup through TAP gives 281. All that stuff on the string could easily slow it to 265.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks wk.

Well, the leeches are starting to tear, so I guess I'll be losing them soon. LOL

Without the brass nock I was getting 270fps. The D-loop easily weighs twice what the nock weighs, so I guess I would be at about 278 already without it.

I'm guessing the sting leeches add 3fps, so then I guess I'd be at 281. Put on a lighter peep, and TAP is pretty close.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
TAP ???

I might sound dumb but what is TAP???

·
Registered
501 Posts
TAP= The archery program
A computer program that you can purchase for Plugging in your set up and seeing what the speed will be and also checking many other variables of archery. It also will give you spine recommendations, Print sight tapes, Etc.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Can you help

Would someone please run my bow thorough this program and see what it says the speed should be and what i can do to get MORE SPEED!!!! LOL

Bowtech extreme vft
70# 28.5 Draw length
408 GR. arrow (including 100Gr. Point)
String loop
peep
Bowtechs hush kit
kisser

THANKS FOR THE HELP!!!!!

·
Registered
539 Posts
Hey Mossy517, how is my fellow Columbian doing? I was reading this post and caught your hometown up in the corner.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Camanche,

If you're happy with the setup and how the bow is shooting, I wouldn't worry about it. A few fps doesn't mean much, unless your goal is to clip a line in a 3D shoot. Even then, I doubt it really amounts to much. Accuracy will always be more important than speed.

If it's a hunting setup, you should be more concerned with shooting the exact draw weight suited for your arrow spine, so you can get great broadhead flight.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I took the leeches of because they were starting to tear, and I don't want them breaking close to the season. Anyway now I'm at 270 fps which is good enough for me. I was going to tie a nock instead of the brass nock, but for me the brass nock is just easier to adjust. That's about right isn't it?

2003 cybertec
poundage : 64lbs
arrow wt: 375 gr.
d-loop
brass nock
peep
270 fps (five feet from chronograph)

Anybody not use string silencers for hunting? The bow has limb savers and a Doinker, and I really don't notice a difference. I think the D-Loop helps a little too.

·
Registered
265 Posts
If you are using a metal D-loop, check the bridge section of your tec riser. The metal D-loop was hitting the riser on my cybertec and I didn't know untill a piece of the finish flew off. I switched to a string loop and the problem was gone and the bow was quieter.

Budman

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
Do yourself a favor and tie on your own nocks, instead of using the brass nocks. Both will work fine, but the heavier brass will slow your arrow down more and chew on your nocks a bit. Tied nocks are easy to make and work great! You can read an article on how to tie them on the Bowsite.

Like SteveR said, if you are shoting well don't mess with it, but since you asked ....

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Comanche said:
Well I took the leeches of because they were starting to tear, and I don't want them breaking close to the season. Anyway now I'm at 270 fps which is good enough for me. I was going to tie a nock instead of the brass nock, but for me the brass nock is just easier to adjust. That's about right isn't it?

2003 cybertec
poundage : 64lbs
arrow wt: 375 gr.
d-loop
brass nock
peep
270 fps (five feet from chronograph)

Anybody not use string silencers for hunting? The bow has limb savers and a Doinker, and I really don't notice a difference. I think the D-Loop helps a little too.
You know I have looked at this post a couple of times and wondered what is up….

I shoot a RazorTec with

68lbs draw weight
Draw length 28 ½”
Total arrow weight 425 grains
String D-loop
Fletcher true-peep tied in
Two String leaches

That is it, nothing else and I get 268 fps, and there will be some differences in speed from one chronograph to another. Maybe you should check again.

Next question, are you hunting with this setup? And if so, why are you shooting such a light total arrow weight?

Put a little more weight on and the slower speed will still have more than enough KE to kill most animals in North America.

Speed is not everything, if you have a properly tuned setup, bow, arrow and broadhead working together, 178 fps will take almost any game, if you do your part and put the arrow in the “SPOT”. If you do not, 350 fps will not kill any better.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thanks everyone for the replies.

Javelina,

Now that I think about it I don't really put too much faith in the draw weight I listed. The folks at the shop gave me that figure, but it seems I could tighten the bolts down quite a bit more. I bet I'm pulling closer to 60lbs.

Your right about my arrows being a little too light, but they should work fine on these hill country whitetails. They really are pretty small bodied. My chronograph is pretty consistent, but I may run it through another just for fun.

Everything is getting settled in finally, and I'll probably stick with this setup through the deer season. Later when I go after some hogs, I'll start looking into heavier arrows. Right now I'm using the Beman ICS Hunter 400's.

Anyway it is shooting well so I'll probably take everyones advice and not mess with it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts