Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the morning I get out about an hour after sunrise becuase I hunt a huge bean field & for the last 3 years I have been hunting the deer seem to leave the field right as the sun rises so I leave about an hour later, do you guys think I am getting down to early? What are the chances of deer coming out into the field to eat after daylight? Also, at night I have been in my stand at
3:30... sunset is 6:47, do you think I am getting in to early? Maybe some stupid questions, just looking for honest opinions.

· Registered
14,752 Posts
I find 8:30 Am is a good time for deer to move

· Registered
1,545 Posts
Do you have to walk thru the bean field to get to your stand? You need to look for some transition areas (where the deer hold up before going into the field) and try setting up there. They usually hit those areas earlier and wait till less light to move into fields. Can you find where there bedding areas are and still get to a setup in the morning with out spooking the deer, maybe a long trek in the back way or use a creek or something? If you alway have to walk the bean field it's going to be a long season of afternoon hunts.

· Registered
1,180 Posts
I think deer move early in morning than again aronud 9:00 or 2 hrs after sun rise hang in a couple mornings and see what happens. I think 1/2 hr in the stand before shoting is early enough how long can one sit still.

· Registered
1,458 Posts
I try to stay till atleast 10AM and in the evenings i get in at 3 and stay till dark, tis is for early season.

· Do it in style!
2,319 Posts
I normally stay till atleast 9, I like to stay longer if I can. This mourning I climbed down at 8 (couldnt get comforatable, then I didnt put on enough clothes so I got cold) and was removing my LW and sticks look to my right and there stands a doe. I rarely see deer before 8 regardless of where I am hunting.

· Registered
3,388 Posts
I think you are leaving your stand to early and not getting back into it soon enough.

· Registered
102 Posts
I think I would stay in the stand a little longer. I would also have a really good set of bino's that way you could watch the entire field and try an pattern where they are entering and exiting and what times are best to set. As the rut comes in I stay in the stand all day. A few years ago I watched a large buck keep a doe in a bean field for 3hrs and during this time 3 other bucks were trying to get to her and he just kept running the off.

· Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well this morning there was 6 coyotes running around so I gave up early, I guess I'll try for a little longer tomorrow. I just figured since the deer are leaving at first light and I have no trail cam pics past 7:30 am that they arent in the field at these times & in 3 years I have never seen a deer past 7:30 in the field.

· Registered
2,754 Posts
Two thoughts...

Depends on how bad you want to kill a deer, and only you know for sure.

I have one field I started glassing about a month before season. Deer entered the feild at the same time every night, almost to the minute. I would do the half hour thing and setup on the trail, stick one and leave. It almost always was a 30 minute hunt.

Deer move all day and they will be in and out of fields all day for a number of reasons. If you really want to kill a deer you have two options. Stay all day or watch the field enough that you know exactly what the deer are doing.

Over the years I've probably killed more deer between 9:00 and 11:00 with more of them coming between 9:00 and 10:00. in the morning. I'm convenced the reason is that's when everyone else gets down and goes home. They bumb deer and many times don't even know it. You want to be on an exit trail durring those times.

As for evening times, I pattern the hunters. If everyone shows up at 3:30 pm to hunt then I want to be in my spot no later than 2:30 pm. That too makes for short hunts. :)

This works for public land and farm land that has hunters up to a mile away. I've also learn deer pattern hunters too.

If you're not sure about an area it's best to hunt until 11:00 AM and start up again at 2:30 pm. The will cover 80% of deer movement in high traffic areas. The bottomline is just make sure it's fun. If you hunt enough days you can hunt the same 30 minutes every day and a some point you'll kill a deer. If that's fun for you then do it. If your goal is to put meat in the freezer in the shortest amount of days then just hunt longer on the days you have available. You have the right to hunt as much or as little as you want.

· Archery Addict
5,688 Posts
I'd stay longer this property that i'm hunting this yr i didn't have permission to hunt it last yr and alomst ever time i would go by in the morning on my way home from hunting another spot about 11 oclock i would see deer walking the fence line of the feild.

· Registered
21 Posts
keep in mind...if you are hunting a field in the morning, you may be bumping deer off the field getting in your stand by accessing it from the field. you didnt say how you get to and from your stand. i have found that entry and exit from a stand can make or break a hunt. as far as times to be on stand...that is up to you. we have deer in our food plots and crop fields at all times of the day. good luck and play the wind too.

· She's baaaaack!!!!
20,603 Posts
Rarely can we get into a stand too early in the morning. If you must get to your stand by or through the field then I'd suggest getting in there at least an hour before light. It would probably be better to just hunt that particular stand in the evening. Like someone previously said try to watch the deer from a distance a couple of times so know what is happening. That's one good thing about hunting field edges, you can set back and watch before hunting.

Note: I very rarely hunt on the edge of a field. I'd much rather be in the woods where I can catch them in the evening snacking on acorns or browse before it's too dark to shoot or in the morning moving to bedding areas. But that's what works for me and the places I have to hunt. I love to hunt the edge of cutover timber however...........morning and evening!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.