Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm shooting an Elite judge at 60lbs and 28" draw. i'm shooting easton fat boy 340's with 100gr nibs that my pro shop recommended, and like them pretty well, but i'm wondering if i'm over spined. I"m getting 277fps. will i get any faster with 400's? or should i crank my poundage up some? I"m trying to get some more speed out of them and might trying using some 80 grain nibs. I'm using this set up for 3d only so KE is not an issue. any advice is appreciated. thanks!

·
Registered
9,276 Posts
400's would be closer to the spine you need than 340's. They would be a little lighter and give you a little more speed, but if you raise your poundage you would get probably the same speed out of the 340's. So, if you can handle the poundage increase, I'd crank your bow up.

Good luck with your 3D season.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
400's would be closer to the spine you need than 340's. They would be a little lighter and give you a little more speed, but if you raise your poundage you would get probably the same speed out of the 340's. So, if you can handle the poundage increase, I'd crank your bow up.

Good luck with your 3D season.
X2 same thing I went thru today

PSE EVO 60 lbs.
Blacked out

·
Registered
50,332 Posts
Are you having a problem with flight and where they hit??? If you go lighter on the tip they will be way over spined. Bottom line for the speed difference IMHO it is a non issue because hitting your mark is everything not how fast it gets there.
But I also think for your set up they are an overspined arrow. A 400 would have been a better choice. But again if your not having a problem don't create one.

·
The Buck Drops Here
5,925 Posts
Are you having a problem with flight and where they hit??? If you go lighter on the tip they will be way over spined. Bottom line for the speed difference IMHO it is a non issue because hitting your mark is everything not how fast it gets there.
But I also think for your set up they are an overspined arrow. A 400 would have been a better choice. But again if your not having a problem don't create one.
This is the right answer.

I have a Pulse at 60 with a 28" DL and shoot a 400 Flatline.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok so let me ask you this.... if i increase poundage to 65 lbs would i still be over spined? or if I went to a 400 spine could i keep the 60lbs and use 80gr nibs and not be underspined?

·
Registered
919 Posts
What length are your arrows cut to?

·
Shaaaaazam!!
7,703 Posts
i'm shooting an Elite judge at 60lbs and 28" draw. i'm shooting easton fat boy 340's with 100gr nibs that my pro shop recommended, and like them pretty well, but i'm wondering if i'm over spined. I"m getting 277fps. will i get any faster with 400's? or should i crank my poundage up some? I"m trying to get some more speed out of them and might trying using some 80 grain nibs. I'm using this set up for 3d only so KE is not an issue. any advice is appreciated. thanks!
ok so let me ask you this.... if i increase poundage to 65 lbs would i still be over spined? or if I went to a 400 spine could i keep the 60lbs and use 80gr nibs and not be underspined?
Depending on arrow length..I think the the 400 MAY work at 60..An I think the 340 will work at 65lb...What arrow length,an Fletch are u using?Just curious

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
arrows are cut to 25.5 from end of nock to carbon, so add the tip and they are almost 26". they weigh 355 with a 100gr nib. using 2'' blazers.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
My 28/60 Pulse will not shoot 400 spine arrows with any consistency, so I opted for 340's and they fly perfectly. As others have said, if you're getting good arrow flight, I'd leave well enough alone.

·
Registered
919 Posts
According to on target, going to 65 lbs with the 340 arrows will have you where you need to be. Going to 80 grain 400 at 60 lbs will have you a little weak.

·
Registered
50,332 Posts
According to on target, going to 65 lbs with the 340 arrows will have you where you need to be. Going to 80 grain 400 at 60 lbs will have you a little weak.
Not if you figure in his arrow length now------the 340 at 25.5 to 26" is now too stiff. As with asking any questions of this nature ALL information is needed to give the correct answers not just part of it. Arrow length is crucial to giving the best advice.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Not if you figure in his arrow length now------the 340 at 25.5 to 26" is now too stiff. As with asking any questions of this nature ALL information is needed to give the correct answers not just part of it. Arrow length is crucial to giving the best advice.
Why do you think I asked him his arrow length a few posts up?

With the hunting filter on, 25.5" arrow, 28" draw, 65lb Elite Judge, and assuming 15 grains for the vanes, Ontarget2 calls for an optimal spine of .3398. 26" arrow puts it at .3333

·
Registered
812 Posts
If you're not getting a stiff spine reaction out of your arrow, I'd just leave it especially if you have a 70# bow turned down to 60#. If you go with the .400 spine and decide to turn your bow up you will most likely encounter weak spine issues.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
what exactly would be the reaction from a stiff spined arrow. Reason i ask is i went and shot at lunch today and had the guys at the shop watch my flight. they said it looks good but they're also lazy sometimes. i'm grouping ok and everything seems to be flying right from what i can see, so i was wondering what i should be looking for.

·
Registered
11,335 Posts
I use 340's @ 61# but at 30". A little overspined won't hurt though, its only when your WAY over that things can be an issue.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I shot @ 60 with 400's last year @ 27" and shot well. I think you are a little stiff at 26" turn your bow up to 64-65 and check your flight.

·
Registered
50,332 Posts
If your not having a problem don't fix what ain't broke. Sounds to me like your worrying about a problem that does not exist for you which is usually from reading too much. Take advice that works for you and discard advice that does not effect you. Sounds like you don't have a problem to start with so like I said don't create one.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts