Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
over the years ive turkey hunted, i have noticed that i have always had really good luck turkey hunting in the rain. when it rains, they go out into the fields here, i guess to eat the worms that come up. also, when it is pouring, you can get away with a lot more movement and lack of realism from your decoys. just my 2 cents. what do you think?

·
Bowhunt/Homebrew have FUN
24,509 Posts
they head to the open fields because the rain drives their survival mechanisms NUTS, the sound of the rain hitting everything coupled with the movement that it causes drives them nuts, they tend to flock up and head to open areas where they can rely on their primary defense mechanism; their eyesight. Don't be surprised to find them on roost in the middle of the day during a storm too....one thing to remember about them, they seem to think everything in the woods is out to get them and I guess between the raptors, predators, and hunters, they're not too far off....

hunting them in the rain can be a lot of fun with archery gear....isn't it funny how some of the most frustrating things we do, we call fun???

Good luck!

Joe

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
I have not had much luck in heavy rain, but in a nice, slow drizzle I have had good success. As others said fields are the place to be when it is raining. Since they cannot hear well they go where they can see. Also, when it thunders they love to gobble their heads off. Just be careful you don't get struck by lightning.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i think that the challenge of the hunt is what makes it fun. if i killed a mature gobbler or a mature whitetail every time i went hunting, im not sure i would do it anymore. it would be too much like nascar, your guaranteed a few left turns. :wink:

·
Registered
550 Posts
Took my brother out last year in a thunderstorm and he killed the biggest bird iv ever seen. It was raining so hard we had all the windows closed on my double bull blind. We were peeking out and a hen stepped out soon followed by the Tom. It weighed 29 lbs soakin wet! "literally". It was great getting home and showing it off to the hunters who said we were crazy for even going out. I had him just outta range with bow the day before so took my brother out with his boom stick. Enjoyed his excitement more then if I had shot it.

·
Liv4Rut
7,333 Posts
I love hunting in a light off / on rain. I have sat in many thunderstorms and as soon as it passes and quits raining the birds flock to the fields.

·
Registered
11,666 Posts
I have killed 50% of my birds in the rain.

·
Registered
13,128 Posts
Nope head to a field

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
I love hunting them during a real light rain or just as it stops. It seems as if they always head to an open field then and that's where I set up. It's even better when there is thunder.

·
BowhunterT100
6,549 Posts
i shot almost all my gobblers in the rain

·
Widewater Hunt Club
9,387 Posts
One of my best Gobblers came after a sever down pour. It rained heavy for half a day. Started calling from his ridgeline where i seen him strut before and he came in triple gobbling! I wouldn't say I've had most of my success during, but rather just after some moderate to heavy rains. I've always heard the main reason turkeys like to get out in the open during or after it rains is because they are wet and very heavy. I would imagine they need just a bit longer runway to get airborne with that weight if a predator comes in.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Last time I turkey hunted in the rain (lots of years ago) I didn't hear a peep out of a turkey but the chill damp rain let me collect a 37" timber rattler.

·
Registered
728 Posts
This is my first year turkey hunting and I sure as hell won't let a little rain stop me.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts