Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first bow from childhood was a Browning Timberwolf. I still have the bow but am missing a limb pocket. It would be great if I could pass this bow down to my son as he begins to hunt but I cant find this part anywhere and am on the verge of giving up. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can replace this part for this bow or should I just suck it up and buy a new bow for him?

·
Registered
703 Posts
Theres a complete bow on eBay right now. Can't imagine it'd cost much to get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
Wow that was my first bow! Believe it was around 1990 when my dad bought it for me and I wish I still had it. With that said I would buy my son a much more modern bow for him to learn on. You can pick up real good used ones here or have him hit the local pro shop so he starts off with proper fitting equipment.

·
Back Yard Champion
27,742 Posts
Almost a 20 year old bow.....I think I'd start my boy out with something more modern.

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Unfortunately bows are not like guns. I wouldn’t trust a 20 yr old bow in my kids hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49,537 Posts
Agree with Sonny. Buy him a new bow. There are a bunch of them out there that will grow with him and take him into adulthood.
Your old bow is a wall hanger.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Just being honest but that bow means a lot more to you than it will to him. Get him a good one that he picks out. Much more likely to shoot it.

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
A Browning Mirage was my first bow. I bought it new at a pro shop and took lessons. 1/2 hour later the riser broke in half right threw the rest hole. My last Browning bow. I'd get him something a little more up to date, that can grow with his draw length and poundage. Their are some great models out now for youth archers.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Not almost 20 years old. It's almost 30 years old! My brother has one. They had a wood riser and his makes all sorts of scary noises when drawn. Get him his own first bow. Hang that on the wall. Maybe fix it, but I wouldn't shoot it to save my life.

·
BIG FRANK....
8,283 Posts
I have 80s bows i shoot all the time, nothing wrong with them..

·
Huntoholic
1,530 Posts
Classic bows are like classic cars, they may function fine but you just don't see many on the road, the newer ones are more efficient and just nicer. Nostalgia often clouds our memory about things, my first compound bow was a Bear Cheyenne

Hunter, very much like the original Whitetail Hunter, in my memory that bow was fantastic, but in reality the form and function were dismal compared to what I use today.

As others have stated I think your son will benefit more from a newer bow that is "his bow".

·
Registered
16,172 Posts
Buy new or newer and keep your first bow for yourself, i sure wish i had my bear whitetail ll still as a memory on the wall that my dad bought me 30 years ago.

·
Registered
17,696 Posts
Wood riser compounds are an accident waiting to happen, wood doesn't have the strength needed for a compound, many companies built them & a lot of them broke. Hang it on the wall!

·
Archery Blogger/Writer
9,332 Posts
If this is what I think it is with the swaged cables, you're going to eventually run out of access to remake those swaged cables. Very few shops have the tooling and parts necessary to even recreate those.

I would retire that bow.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts