Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I try to set up a AM 35 with a 29" DL, am I better off on the long end of the #2 cam (27"-29") or the short end of the #3 cam (29"-30")?

I know on the standard Cam.5's it always seemed like you wanted to be in the "D" or "F" positions. Seemed like there was very little valley in the "A" and the draw was really stiff in the "F".

Anyhow, any advice would be great.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump.

·
Registered
6,141 Posts
I'm right where you are my man. I bought my 35 with the #2 cams and shot it for a while. I then decided I needed to lengthen my draw length slightly. I picked up some #3cams and some strings and set to it. In the end the B mods were slightly too long unless I really untwisted things a bunch. Bow didn't shoot great that way.

I finally put the A mods (#3 cams) back on and twisted cables up a touch, took a few out of the string and got my DL to where it felt perfect. To me there is more valley with this configuration than I had with the smaller cams with the E mods. I'm not worried about the 4 to 5 fps I probably lost going with the bigger cams. It shoots great and that is all that matters to me.

I don't think I helped but that is my story! ;)

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So..... sounds like the #2 would be a little quicker, but the #3 would have a little more valley?

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
I have the #2 cams, I'm a 28.5 draw and love them. I shot some #3s setting up some bows and could not tell a difference in valley. You can tweak the valley a lil on them to.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I think you should go with the #2 cam. You will be getting the most of what that cam has to offer with that setup, and it's really not a harsh cam as far as I am concerned!

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
#2 cams are a bit faster and have a more solid wall,and seem to be the preferred setup for 29" draw(per our shops Hoyt rep.)
#3 cams have a little more valley (or maybe just a softer wall that feels like more valley) and seem to draw a little smoother,I like them on my Hunting Bow better than the #2s.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like #2 is the way to go. Thanks for all the info guys.

·
Registered
6,141 Posts
I would like to retract my earlier comments. I bought my AM35 with the #2 cams, E mods and 60 pounds. I shot it for a while and it shot great, would bare shaft my hunting arrows out to 30 yards which I thought was excellent. I got to monkeying around with it and ran across a set of #3 cams with A mods, REALLY cheap.

Next thing I knew I had thrown the bigger cams on, new strings and got to shooting again. Bow shot well enough but seemed to just not be up to what it used to be. With the change came an increase in DW which I accounted for by untwisting the cables/twisting the strings, etc. The specs were out a bit especially the ATA and BH. I would get mystery misses that I couldn't account for. I kept plugging away at it all along thinking it was ME all along.

In the meantime I picked up an AlphaBurner and it just shot lights out for me. Again I suspected the AM35 was just a dog and contemplated selling it.

For some reason a couple of nights ago I decided to throw the #2 cams back on. A little twisting here and there and I had my DL spot on, DW was dead nuts on 61 pounds, ATA, BH, etc. just fell into place. Went outside to shoot it and it felt like a totally different bow. The residual buzzing was gone after the shot, the draw cycle was more to my liking, back wall felt more firm, etc.

With the #3 cams I was getting a slight high/left tear that wouldn't go away. First shot through paper with the #2 cams was the prettiest bullet hole you're ever seen. Arrows seem to just be finding their way into the X now, mistery misses are seemingly a thing of the past.

Looks like I'll be keeping the bow and selling the #3 cams. Sorry for any confusion I caused with my earlier post. :darkbeer:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts