Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently shooting a Hoyt AM32...looking very hard at the Mathews Z7...I have not had a chance to shoot the Matty yet...for those who have shot both, please compare them for me...speeds, smoothness, quietness etc.

thanks

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Nice bows

I have shot the Z7 and shoot the AM32 (see sig). The Z is a really nice bow very quiet and shock free. It had a little hump at the break over no big deal. The bow shot really nice and the grip is improvement over there old grips. Still doesn't fit my hand like the Hoyt grip.

Even as nice as the Z, Maxxis and AB were I decided to keep my AM32. So I went and bought yet another AM32. I bought this one used so I got a pretty good deal. So now my backup is identical to my primary bow just the way it should be.

But you really need to shoot the two yourself to decide.

Scott

·
Registered
10,018 Posts
Shot all the Hoyts and Mathews side by side. I ordered a Z7. Of the Hoyts I really liked the Maxxis 31, Burner and then the AM32. All great bows by the way.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Hoyts were way better IMO with the Carbon matrix being the better hoyt, but that said I think the new Strother Infinity is the cream of the crop. Much smoother draw cycle than all of those! And quieter to boot!

·
Registered
6,482 Posts
I'm a Hoyt guy but the Z-7 definately has something going for it. Both are really nice bows I still can't get over the riser on the Z-7. I think my AM 32 with z-3 cams on it is pretty much the best bow out there including the 2010 offerings so I would not trade it for a Z-7 in a million years. I do like my Alphaburner better then the Maxxis the Z-7 and the Elite Judge.

·
Registered
324 Posts
z7

I own a am32 wasn't going to buy a new bow.I shot the z7 and like it very much,dead in your hand and nice draw cycle.2 days ago I shot Destroyer 350.I'm going to shot the 340 today.Imo bowtech destroyer is better bow than am or z7

·
Registered
185 Posts
I own both bows and like them both. If I had to choose one it would be the Z7. It is faster and is dead in my hand.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I own both bows and like them both. If I had to choose one it would be the Z7. It is faster and is dead in my hand.
If you set the AM 32 and the Z7 up with the same actual draw length(not factory- Mathews runs 5/8" long) the Alphamax is faster than the Z7. The Alphamax is the better bow between these two. The Hoyt has by far the best limbs and limb system(including the over rated Barnsdale) in the industry. The hoyt has the most stable riser in the industry and they are the most tunable and accurate bows in the world. Look at the Maxxis, as it is an upgraded version of the Alphamax. A little more speed and a touch smoother draw. Right now you could probably get a used Alphamax for half the price of a new Z7.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I've shot both the AM32 and the Z7. IMO, the Z7 was a better bow. Smoother draw, hard wall, and silent.

·
Registered
6,935 Posts
If you set the AM 32 and the Z7 up with the same actual draw length(not factory- Mathews runs 5/8" long) the Alphamax is faster than the Z7. The Alphamax is the better bow between these two. The Hoyt has by far the best limbs and limb system(including the over rated Barnsdale) in the industry. The hoyt has the most stable riser in the industry and they are the most tunable and accurate bows in the world. Look at the Maxxis, as it is an upgraded version of the Alphamax. A little more speed and a touch smoother draw. Right now you could probably get a used Alphamax for half the price of a new Z7.
To each their own.. We are all of course entitled to our opinions/ views. Personally speaking, I shot a AM35 and was not very impressed as a whole. IMHO I felt that the masses talked up the Alphamax alot more than it really is. But that's just my opinion/ view.

I don't gauge and compare things on a $$ level. For me even if an item(not just bows) cost double the price of another. If the more expensive item(bow) is the higher $$ of the two I'll buy it without hesitation if it's the better all around choice for me and/or my needs. The money's not the object for some people!

With that said. IMHO the Z7 is a much better bow all around when stacked up against an Alphamax. In fact I just bought my new LH Black riser/camo limb L7 yesterday after work!! This bow is the real deal!!:wink:

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
AlphaMax...easily.

·
Registered
185 Posts
My Z7 is 291/8" and my Alphamax is 29" not enough to make up for the difference in speed. My Z7 is quieter and holds better IMHO. I have a drawboard and press to do my own work and do not depend on advertised DW and DL. I still would take My Z7 over My Alphamax Yours may be different.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I shot the maxxis and Z7 as well, and the Z7 is the nicer of the two. performance wise, not much difference, and is very subjective, so thats a mute point although the Z7 was better for ME. Drawlength was right on for both. Draw about the same, Z7 held nicer.

Fit and finish wise, the Z7 is FAR nicer, I can't see how anyone could argue the point in hoyt's favor. As you can see by my avatar, I been a long time hoyt fan. The maxxis 180* 59 cent plastic pos grip just exudes shoddyness :sad: Really, Hoyt needs to take a page out of Mathew's machining book, cause their cnc programmers are making hoyt's look like a bunch of high schoolers.....and as a hoyt fan it's very dissappointing.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I went in the shop to buy an AM32 and left with a Z7 on order. They are both awesome bows. The main difference in the draw cycles in in the valley. The AM has a very short valley, with the Z7 being a little longer. They both shoot plenty fast. On the shot, the Z7 is slightly more dead in the hand, but the AM has so little vibration, it's not really an issue. If I had an AM32, I probably wouldn't shell out the extra $ for the Z7, but if you are going to buy one or the other I would (I did) go with the Z7.

·
Banned
106 Posts
shot both and like the z7 way more than the hoyt

·
Registered
278 Posts
Coyote ugly

In one of the posts they say how ugly the Z7 riser is... Well how ugly is that piece of riser that goes from top to bottom behind the grip on most Hoyts... Now Thats ugly... I never liked it and will not even look at a Hoyt due to that... LOL... Yes they make great bows but... its kinda like having a good looking chick with a big fat hairy mole on her face... I have tested all the new bows and they are all great but the Z7 seems to get my attention the most..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts