Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my buddy and I are hunting today and he get a PERFECT shot on a doe at 20 yards, stuck her in the perfect spot right behind the shoulder.

The doe rolled over and snapped the arrow off, he is shooting a CX 3d select and was using the American Broadhead Pros broadhead. Basically they are the same as the free ones but they have a 1 inch cutting diamater. Anyway we go look and the arrow looks like it has about 5 - 6 inches of penetration but the front of the arrow is in the deer. 3 - 4inches in the deer w/ the broadhead still attached.

we tracked the doe for over a mile. It looks like a possible single lung puncture, if that. We found some spots where there was a nice amount of blood where it looks like she coughed up the blood and a blood trail that wasn't super hard to follow.

after about a mile the blood trail vanished. We searched EVERYWHERE, even called in extra help. The doe is nowhere to be found.

That shot on that deer should have dropped it within 100 yards, and thats if it was pushed. The only thing we can think is the broadhead must have broken or something because that should should have double lunged the doe without a doubt.

I am disgusted and we are going out to get some Muzzy's today.

btw- this is his first archery season, he has been hunting rifle for years but never shot a deer. so this is his first deer also. Thanks for the GREAT product American Broadhead Company (btw - they aren't the Free ones, he bought these after looking at the free one, what a dumb*** )

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hoytman1 said:
What is your buddies setup?HM
He is shooting:

- LB Martin Slayer Extreme SE (think thats it) at 26 inch draw, 60 pounds
- Trophy Ridge Drop Away
- TRU wrist release
- Tru-Glo sight
- CX 3-d Selects
- American Broadheads Sonics Pro's 100 gr (1" cutting diamater)

Speed he gets about 200 - 215 FPS

The doe was broadside at 20 yards when he shot, stuck it right behind the shoulder (I was standing right behind him and witnessed the shot).

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Sorry, but something about that shot wasn't "perfect". A field point will penatrate to the fletching if shot in the ribs. Any broadhead with "perfect" shot placement will quickly dispatch a deer. Something had to have gone wrong.
Okay, reading your follow up maybe I was a bit quick. Is this a mechanical head? I'm guessing he has barely marginal KE to be shooting mechanicals.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I've heard good things about the Sonic and Liberty heads.

What poundage on the bow. perhaps the shot placement wasn't as perfect as he thought.

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sbninja said:
I've heard good things about the Sonic and Liberty heads.

What poundage on the bow. perhaps the shot placement wasn't as perfect as he thought.
I saw where the arrow hit, like I said I was right behind him and saw where it hit. He hit right behind the shoulder. At 20 yards the arrow should have passed clean through, I agree.

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hoytman1 said:
Were the broadheads good and sharp??HM
Yes, they were sharp and in good shape. He shot a squirrel with this particular broadhead a week earlier and it was the first time he shot this one. (The squirrel died, the broadhead was perfectly fine.)

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Things are not always as they appear....

btw- this is his first archery season, he has been hunting rifle for years but never shot a deer. so this is his first deer also.
I think the real answer to your rant lies somewhere in this statement. A field point placed in the "perfect" spot would punch through a deer. There are other possibilities, such as the arrow hitting the far shoulder and bouncing back - I've had that happen before too.

It was a double lung shot, arrow hit farside shoulder bone, and actually bounced back out of the deer looking as if it was a near side shoulder shot. The deer went nearly 200 yards, and took over 20 minutes to die..... This entire kill is documented on video.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
He must have hit something hard{shoulder etc.} the sonic head is a very good penetrator. If I where him, with his low KE, I would opt for a Magnus Stinger :cocktail: Sorry to here about your lost deer :cry:

·
Registered
10,545 Posts
we had a similar thing happen on a buck but were using shuttle t heads. complete pass through and tracked that sucker forever. chunks of lung everywhere, awsome blood trail, then it STOPPED. did a grid search.
we looked for that buck for three days!. i don't know how something can bleed that much and not be found, but it happens!

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
muzzy

hey,,
Ive got 3 packs of muzzy 125grain (and 1 opened/unused pack).. all twelve for 45$ tyd
I use 100grain..otherwise I'd keep 'em

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
I was not there ,but I don't think the broadhead is to blame.Alot can go wrong in archery,My friend had the PERFECT shot about 10 years ago.He blamed everything & was going to quit archery. In rifle season he shot the same deer &found his broadhead in it. the PERFECT shot was not so PERFECT.He continues to hunt archery, But relizes that all is not what it seems in the heat of the moment. Hope everything goes better for you & your friend.ABC makes a good product & things go wrong.

Ray Ray

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bo Hunter said:
I think the real answer to your rant lies somewhere in this statement. A field point placed in the "perfect" spot would punch through a deer. There are other possibilities, such as the arrow hitting the far shoulder and bouncing back - I've had that happen before too.

It was a double lung shot, arrow hit farside shoulder bone, and actually bounced back out of the deer looking as if it was a near side shoulder shot. The deer went nearly 200 yards, and took over 20 minutes to die..... This entire kill is documented on video.
We followed the deer for over a mile, (not eggagerating, I drove the roads she followed and it was 1.1 miles) and I know where the arrow hit. Its exactly where I would have put the arrow if I was taking the shot. My rant would be the same if this was my 100th deer or my 1st deer. I do not like wounding an animal and letting it suffer, which is what happened here.

The arrow placement should have double lunged the deer, without a doubt. With 6 inches of penetration in a 100 pound doe the arrow may have hit far shoulder, which is fine, I don't care it didn't pass through. But there is no reason whatso ever that the doe did not drop w/ a 1 inch hole in her unless the blades snapped or didn't do their job, unfourtantely we won't know.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
The only thing I could think of if it were a 'perfect' shot would be that you were using one of the DEMO heads sent out.
They had a plating issue and sent out replacements.

·
The Impartial Archer
18,261 Posts
Something is up IMO. I’m not saving you didn’t see what you though but sometimes if the deer is not exactly broadside its not so easy to tell with the excitement …I think you had to hit heavy bone. Probably the off side shoulder because I received the free head also and there’s no way a rib bone on any whitetail is gonna' break it up because a whitetails ribs just are not that tough. A shoulder on the other hand it quite capable of stopping a 325 gr (that’s a rough guess for that arrow at 25") going 200-215 FPS.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Dredly said:
Yes, they were sharp and in good shape. He shot a squirrel with this particular broadhead a week earlier and it was the first time he shot this one. (The squirrel died, the broadhead was perfectly fine.)
just curious,after the squirrel was shot did he resharpen the blades or check the broadhead to see if it had good alignment and spun tru on the arrow,sometimes things happen to a head after the shot even on a squirrel,hitting the ground,ect:confused:

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
?

With his setup he is getting 31-35 ftlbs of kinetic energy?? And if the blades are not very sharp? Or the shot is not as perfect as thought that leaves alot of room for error with that small amount of Kinetic energy? HM

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Good job

Way to slander a reputable company! Thats the way nowadays, blame it on something else not the person operating it. BTW at that speed i'd like to know how heavy of an arrow he was shooting. Especially with a 100 grain broadhead. We all appreciate the info, but blaming it all on the broadhead is a little extreme, considering all the factors that play into harvesting a deer without problems.

·
Registered
PRO SHOP OWNER BOWTECH MATHEWS
3,058 Posts
one of the people i hunt with made the perfect shot the other night . he uses lighted noks so he can see his arrow. he told me exactly where he hit the doe . said it was perfect he watched it go into the deer. when we found it the next day the shot wasnt within 8 inches of where he said it was.hes a good shot and practices a lot go figure.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts