Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have one of these, if so how do you like it, what would you change about it, and does it hold up good in the weather, does the camo fade out after leaving it out a while in the sun. Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
172 Posts
I almost bought the Penthouse, but someone here on AT suggested that I go with the Ameristep Bighouse. Basically the same blind, except that the Bighouse is a hub-style blind vs. spring steel on the Penthouse. I was told that spring steel models are lighter and tend to get more wind blown and are easy to set up, but a pain in the a** to take down and store in the supplied bag. I haven't hunted out of my Bighouse blind yet, but after practicing out of it a couple times, I really like it. Good luck to you.

·
Extreme Opinionated One
44,331 Posts
I have the penthouse but haven't used it more than once or twice. My suburban deer that have memorized every twig and blade of grass of thier small patch of woods were scared to death of it when they saw it. If I owned a large tract of land somewhere that I could set it up on and leave it for awhile it might work. I like it but the windows are quite noisey to open. The double bull 360 would be tons better INMHO. Oh yeah while there is room to standup heightwise in the penthouse you are still forced to shoot sitting down cause the windows are still the same height off the ground as Ameristep's other shorter blinds.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Dave2 said:
Anyone have one of these, if so how do you like it, what would you change about it, and does it hold up good in the weather, does the camo fade out after leaving it out a while in the sun. Thanks, Dave
I have one. I love everything about it, except it turned a purple/pink color after leaving it out for about 1 month last fall. I just bought some camo netting to throw over it.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I used the penthouse for 3 years turkey hunting.Not a bad blind, does whip a little in the wind.The bag it comes in you carry like a backpack.Its not very comfortable.If you have to walk very far, the straps dig into your shoulder, they are not padded, just webbing.As far as folding, it takes a little practice, but it isnt too bad after you know how to do it.Last year I hunted out of a buddies hub blind.Wayyy better.The penthouse was heavy, I dont know how much they claim it weighs, but with my folding chair in with it, I weighed it at 27lbs.The hub was light.It was smaller , but half the weight.It set up just about as fast, but the hub blind was tight.No whipping in the wind. Taking down of the hub was way faster.I dont know if they made any improvements on the penthouse in 3 years, but if they have'nt, I would'nt buy another one.I sold the penthouse and am deciding right now which hub blind to buy for next year. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Punch_Master said:
Oh yeah while there is room to standup heightwise in the penthouse you are still forced to shoot sitting down cause the windows are still the same height off the ground as Ameristep's other shorter blinds.
You can easily shoot out of these standing up. Open the triangular window's on top side. I have my porthole's open just enough to see out of. Then I have my main upper window open with the other's loose but not open. Very little light let in. The blind is huge. They should call it a square dance blind because you can hold one in it. I leave mine out from August till Nov. Slight fade. Like someone said alsmost purplelish. I like mine alot. I also have a Doghouse blind and a Stackhouse blind. The Penthouse is the best one. It's big you can stand up draw back with no problem's. Doghouse is too small and short. Have to kneel down to shoot. Stackhouse is pretty good. It's somewhat tippy. It's like a refrigerator box. Tall and skinny kinda. You can stand up to shoot just as easily but the width is a little tight for drawing back. It work's ok especially with a shorter DL.
Shawn F.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts