Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I say we start a thread with our bows actual draw length so it make it easy for everyone to know what cams measure as what length. And easy for others to check to see what there prime bow is drawing.

AMO measurement - will be from the "nock groove" in the string to front of riser

TRUE draw - will be from the "nock groove" in string to pivot point or deepest part of the grip.

draw length.JPG

using a draw board is a great way to measure these or draw back your bow with an arrow on it and have some one mark the shaft at the front edge of the riser then measure your arrow from that mark to the valley of the nock.

Also when we post include information like this please.

Bow: 2015 Prime Rival
Cams: PCXL 3
Draw stops: 85% all the way out (percentage is not necessary just a rough idea where you have them)
Grip: Ghost
ATA: 35 1/2"
Draw weight: 40-50 limbs maxed at 50#
AMO: 29 1/2"
TRUE: 28 3/8"

thanks for sharing and i think this will gather some very useful information.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
shouldn't the AMO draw length be from the pivot point plus 1.75 inches not 1 1/8?
That number "1.75" was used because when they stared the AMO that was the distance from the pivot point to the front edge of the riser on most bows. i am trying to get data on prime bows actual draw measuring to a solid point so it is easier to get accurate measurements for the prime cams. so i am using how they stated the AMO but using the real distance on a prime for pivot to front of riser.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I understand what your saying. Does the 1 1/8 inch measurement hold true for every Prime model?
for the impact, alloy, and rival it does. i would assume the ion and defy would also measure the same as well.

I also measured my arrow as i had suggested above and my bow on a draw board and there is a 1/8 of an inch variance between the 2 the methods as using your arrow you are measuring to the front side of the string and on a draw board i usually measure to the back of the string. Just thought i would let you all know that finding. I also plan to put this info into a spread sheet as it is collected.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Very few bows actually measure the 1.75" from grip low point to front of shelf, but I understand this to be the standard for determining the AMO draw length. To me, deviating from the formula for any bow without this actual 1.75" measurement just creates more confussion when comparing different bows. I assume Prime uses AMO standard for their draw lengths, but I have heard they run somewhat long. So using the standard AMO formula, quickcat's 29" draw length cams actually give a 30.125" AMO DL set at max let-off ??????

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I say we start a thread with our bows actual draw length so it make it easy for everyone to know what cams measure as what length. And easy for others to check to see what there prime bow is drawing.

AMO measurement - will be from the "nock groove" in the string to front of riser

TRUE draw - will be from the "nock groove" in string to pivot point or deepest part of the grip.

View attachment 2101263

using a draw board is a great way to measure these or draw back your bow with an arrow on it and have some one mark the shaft at the front edge of the riser then measure your arrow from that mark to the valley of the nock.

Also when we post include information like this please.

Bow: 2015 Prime Rival
Cams: PCXL 3
Draw stops: 85% all the way out (percentage is not necessary just a rough idea where you have them)
Grip: Ghost
ATA: 35 1/2"
Draw weight: 40-50 limbs maxed at 50#
AMO: 29 1/2"
TRUE: 28 3/8"

thanks for sharing and i think this will gather some very useful information.
Reviving an old thread for a new question: what measurement do those draw length marked arrows use - is it AMO according to this method?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Reviving an old thread for a new question: what measurement do those draw length marked arrows use - is it AMO according to this method?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yes, most draw length arrows are marked for AMO draw lengths; IOW if you see 28 inches on the shaft, that is with the 1.75 already added to the true draw length.

·
Level 3 Coach
404 Posts
Please don't take this the wrong way but I simply don't get what you are trying to achieve.

By definition your actual draw length is from the bottom of the nock groove to the pivot point on the bow and similarly the AMO draw length is defined as
that actual draw length plus 1.75".

That will be true for ANY bow and ANY archer so what are you trying to clarify?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts