Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me what would be the most accurate set up for me. I am a 28" draw, and am rather confused with brace height and AtoA. How much brace height do i need and whats a good AtoA. I have heard that the shorter draw folks dont need as much brace height. So can someone tell me what the ideal setup would be for me. This bow will be for 3d/spots, and please no name brands just brace heights and AtoA's.
Thanks

·
Registered
593 Posts
No good answer...

Good form is the key for accurate shooting...Many consider a long ata more forgiving but the truth is if you train yourself to be a good shooter you can shoot any bow...I have a 28 inch draw and I like a bow between 35 and 39 inchs... I also like a brace of 7 inchs or better...However if you have great form you could just as easily shoot a bow 33 inches with a 6 inch brace... With the great bows on the market you woun't have trouble finding a great bow that fits you best...

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I agree the bigger the better on BH and A2A. But you will be more accurate with a bow that feels comfortable to you and fits you. Good luck with your search.

:cocktail: LastCall:cocktail:

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Bow

If you're serious about shooting well, then you will have to buy two bows...3-D and Spots are like apples and oranges...you CAN get one bow to do both, but it will be a compromise at best...at any rate, without naming brands, for spots you want as high a brace height as possible for the most forgiveness...a deflex or neutral riser is also a good thing for spots...as far as axle to axle, you want the optimum string angle to be between 40 and 45 degrees at full draw...if you can get that with a 36 ATA bow great, but if it takes a 42" ATA, so be it...that's the angle most of the pros espouse for accuracy. For spots, speed is not a factor, but repitition is, get a bow with a low enough poundage that you can shoot it 100 times a day or more...then you should be set for spots. For 3-D, you need a lower brace height for speed, the same string angle, higher poundage for speed, and a more reflex or just past neutral riser for the speed factor...any way you can get the speed will affect your accuracy...harder cams, shorter ATA, lower brace height, more poundage, all affect accuracy...you need to determine what you need by what you want to focus on...you can achieve the speed many ways...try them all then settle on a second bow with these characteristics...good luck...in not time at all, you'll have 7 or 8 bows working for you just like the rest of us!

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help guys, im going to wait to see what 07 brings and then get one. I am thinking it will be around 37 AtoA and have a brace of 7 or more, i would like to get around 8 though. So we will see what comes and go from there.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
you have a good bow for 3ds. all you need is maybe a little longer ata.for spot shooting i like 38-40 in.with a lower draw wieght.

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
For your draw length, 37-38" ATA, 7-7.5" brace should do you quite nicely.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Axle to Axle

I have heard from experienced archers that the longer AtoA is better for fingers shooters and shorter AtoA is better for release shooters ... Also that shorter AtoA is a faster bow ... It all depends what fits better for you ... I shoot a 35" AtoA with fingers... Couse I like a fast bow and a flat fligth of arrow ...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts