Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have always wanted a longbow, have seen alot I like but either they were way expensive or more typical I couldn't shoot em! I have enough troubles making good shots with my favorite bow, a metal riser Titan. Still the desire was always there and after a time of trying this one or that one I started seeing some traits in some longbows that helped me shoot them better and made the shooting feel pretty good. I been seeing all the positive threads on here about Kegan and his bows and his Delta had the traits I was lookin for. At the price he charges and his 30 day try out you cant really go wrong. I saw the Delta and the unfinished version he sells and thought here was a way to try a longbow and get the grip and riser to look and feel just the way I wanted. Loved his takedown limbs and thought what the heck. Got the bow last week and have been carving/sanding and finally got it put together this AM. Bow shoots really well too. Like I said I have enough problems making good shots with a Titan and raised rest/plunger but this bow is throwing arrows down range really well for not having gotten things fine tuned yet. Haven't even messed with brace height/bare shaft and think I could hunt with it this eve, its shooting broadheads that well. Kegan blacked out the limbs for me and I finished the riser, I used urethane semi gloss and put two coats on, its a little too shiny for me and scratches easily, any suggestions on what else I can do to the riser. Kegans finish on the limbs is nice a dull for hunting, would an outdoor spar urethane be better or a quick blast of flat black spray paint be ok? Some pixs......

I'm thinking of calling the bow "mbogo" or black death LOL

I really like the lines of the bow

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Yo,

Congrats, and it's a great-looking bow. And as performance goes, Kegan is da bomb.

I've used either Tru-Oil or Helmsman Spar Urethane (spray) on several bows when refinishing. I prefer the Tru-Oil (it is applied by paper towel, cloth, or finger) to the Helmsman spray because I can control that application better than I can with my pathetic spraying skills.

Whatever the finish, you may desire multiple, thin layers to build up a bullet-proof surface.

On the Helmsman Spar (or any other) I would follow the can's instructions to the letter. I spray three thin coats the first day within one and one half hours. A three-day wait, and then I spray another three coats in the same manner. A three-day wait after this no matter what comes next. If I'm going to rub the finish to a particular sheen with any method, I'll wait at least a couple of weeks for the finish to setup. (By the way, some folks mention that the gloss spray forms a harder finish than the semi-gloss or satin ... I use gloss and adjust the sheen later, anyway.)

With Tru-Oil, you ignore the bottle's drying instructions - but the Birchwood Casey website has some good advice for this product that is very helpful. I'll apply at least six layers, and often more than that, over a week or so (you kinda get a feeling at a point when you've done enough). Sometimes the weather will allow for a 12 hour drying cycle between layers ... often it's 24 hours. If you're going to rub down this finish by any method, Birchwood recommends waiting a month for the Tru-Oil to set. I wait at least two weeks, but a month is absolutely better if you can stand the wait.

You can be shooting the bow all along during the rubdown waits ... the finish is dry enough for this ... but not quite ready for "formal" rubdowns.

On either of the above mentioned finishes, you can do the following:

Some folks use 0000 steel wool to knock down the raw shine. You can probably go ahead and do this just as soon as your finish is completely dried without the two-four week wait.

You can also use Birchwood Casey's "Stock Sheen" (same company as Tru-Oil and designed to be used with Tru-Oil, but works well on other finishes) to rub down the finish to a warm sheen that isn't as "bright" as the raw one.

You can also research the usage of pumice and rottenstone rubbing methods (Stock Sheen is basically a one-bottle application of this tactic) if you want to achieve a variety of sheens from fairly subdued to highly-polished "grand piano", furniture-like elegance. Some auto compounds can do this as well if you dig deep into the literature for the tactics.

But if your current finish is a bit "dingable" and seems too sensitive to handling, I'd explore a more aggressive and layered finish to make that riser brick-hard, yet warm, in the hand. You can certainly perform this same finishing procedure on your limbs, as well.

Hope this helps. Have fun with your new beast.

·
losing arrows since 1966
1,201 Posts
"or or a quick blast of flat black spray paint be ok?"
I don't know about the Urethane, but I have cleaned up enough e-Bay bows to know the spray paint is VERY bad for the wood, and will not provide the moisture/weather seal you are (or should be!) looking for. Nice bow by the way.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Grats on the new bow. Black looks sweet!

When I finished my Imperial I had good results with Minwax stain and spar urethane (satin). I got the spar urethane in a spray can, made it a lot easier to get even, thin coats. If I was to make a black riser I think I would try a few coats of Ebony Minwax. Then finish it off with a few coats of spar urethane (satin).

Before you do anything, email Kegan and let him know what your trying to achieve. He was very helpful when I had questions about finishing my Imperial.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks thin man that is some great info! I also got an email from Kegan suggesting some of the same stuff, so we'll get it straight here asap.

·
Archery curmudgeon
2,785 Posts
Yohon, I have to shoot that one in May. Satin finishes are notoriously soft so I'd recommend stripping the satin off and start anew with a hard gloss finish and then knock the sheen off like Thin Man says. Some use Tung Oil as a medium when doing your steel wooling. It gives a overall uniform looking finish. One good thing is if you don't like the results you can redo it.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You go it reddogge! That was one of the highlights of the shoot, getting to shoot with you and Joe. Been trying to acquire some Sika meat to grill at the shoot but they are not cooperating like they should...dang Sika LOL!!!!

·
Registered
570 Posts
Wipe on poly is what I refinished my omega (after I finished with brush on spar urethane the first time). It is a lot more matte and easy to apply smoothly.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
If you have the time and the patience Tru Oil leaves a marvelous finish, very deep and rich looking. Very easy to apply and prep for next coat. I had done an Omega original with it and thought it turned out great. I would say also say once the Tru Oil fully cures it leaves a very solid and durable finish as well.

·
Registered
10,051 Posts
Yohon I'm glad you like it! I hope between my email and all of these great suggestions your finish work is back on track :)

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's sitting in a warm dry place for a couple days...looks better already and is not scratching as easily as it was.....wanna get it in the woods this week ;)

·
Archery curmudgeon
2,785 Posts
Yohon, I got a Sika hind during the first few minutes of rifle season but came home with two again courtesy of my friend whom I helped carry his rifle out on two mornings when he shot deer. He gave me a small hind so I have a little Sika meat again. I did pass on a spike too. Did a bowhunt on Friday evening before the season on the ground and had one whistle so close to me I could hear him breath and he slipped 20 yards behind me in heavy greenbriar cover. I never saw him but my friend did. He was a big stag.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
A fantastic shooting bow for sure. One of my favorite Omega's. But I haven't shot an Omega yet that I was not impressed with. By the way, I am planning on going to Baltimore this year, I hear its a great shoot.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That be great to meet up and shoot Urban, I really enjoy that weekend!!!

Reddogge I've never had any one GIVE me a Sika, the protect them at all cost!!! LOL

·
Archery curmudgeon
2,785 Posts
Last year he gave me two because he shot 3 one morning and I dragged the two little ones out of the marsh. He kept the bigger one.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The lil ones are the best, easiest to drag out and eat better than ANYTHING!!!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts