Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Clint Freeman and Dave Cousins are the BEST in Field Target (FITA).

Wonder if anyone knows what are their ANCHOR Point??

A button or marker at the lips and string slightly touching the nose??? Do you know???

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Their hands only like in recurve shooting. When I place my peep sight, I shoot at 18 meters without peep sight to be sure that my anchor is correct. I am grouping very good and the peep sight help me to get a little more accuracy.

My best 90m with my recurve bow was 311/360 in FITA, I didn't have any kisser button or peep sight.

My 0.02¢

·
Registered
20,292 Posts
npk -

Quite honestly - who cares?

While it's true you CAN learn from watching more experienced shooters, there's no reason to believe that copying their technique will work for you. YOU are not THEM, and THEY are not YOU.

Here's an example, lets say Dave or Clint anchor by placing the string firmly in the cleft of their chins. Pretty solid, right, but YOU don't have a cleft in YOUR chin. :eek: Might be a problem.

The guys who win all the time have through experience found what works for them, and then develop it to an art form.

My .02 ;)

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
anchor point

I agree with the poster who says"who cares?" It's nice to emulate someone successful, but if your physical makeup doesn't allow you to anchor where Mr. Cousins...so what? as long as you anchor at the same place EVERY time, you will develop the consistency needed to compete with those guys. The ONE thing they ALL have in common is Repitition of Form....they do the same thing every time...find an anchor you're happy with, a hand position that suits you, and a release and form you can repeat with great consistency and then shoot, shoot, shoot until you dream about your form, release, and equipment...then you are on the right track..and who knows? maybe then someone will post a string about your anchor point?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Gentlemen!!!! Chill out.....

Have you ever tried to emulate anything that someone else does better than you?

At golf......when you go to a PGA Tour event and you play golf, you are likely to go around and look for someone who has a swing that you think you could copy.....

It may be the NPK could learn something from his question, inspite of your answers!!! Maybe he was just curious.....

Sorry, though, I have no idea what the answer is...:cool:

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have an opinion on this one based upon my experience. I agree and disagree with the previous posts. Here is where I disagree. There are what I term essential elements of archery form, which need to be followed as a starting point for most archers. A straight bow arm and relaxed bow shoulder position are good examples. If you study pics of the great shooters, like Rags, you will notice several common characteristics that most use.
Once a starting platform is in place, adjustments through experimentation for comfort and repeatability can be made which adapt to an individuals body and comfort level.
Here is the problem most beginning archers face today. It is the massive flood of information on all aspects of archery which is simply overwhelming. Not all of it is reliable.
Hence, for a person trying to improve, the best move they can make is to seek professional coaching. A coach can determine if a DC anchor is best for that archer, and can otherwise provide the archer with reliable advice.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just curious

Hi guys,

If you read my post, I was asking...."do you know?"...then we have people JUMPING into conclusion that I should follow these excellent archers.

I am using a Finger release and love it....Dave and Clint use thumb and BT release......do you think I will throw my finger release and follow them....

Anyway, I still believe, what is good for some may not be good for you.....but is there any harm trying out something new and get the feel and experience??

So, for thise who do not know, why not enjoy and read for knowledge and not make irrelevant remarks.

Thanks

·
Occam's Razor
8,337 Posts
Dave anchors on his nose with his string and same place on his face with the release. No kisser. Peep (not an anchor) will be in the correct position with this anchor................ck

·
Registered
20 Posts
I use a Carter Atension release with a very short rope. I anchor half way along my jaw bone with the jaw bone resting between my first and second knuckles. I have the string touching my nose ...as I think this help with stability of aiming.

I also never shoot bows that are any shooter than 42.5" ata.... the longer the bow the tighter the anchor.

D

·
0 Posts
the Tasmanian Clint-ster...

...got any photos your able to post of your anchor??...would be great to see any you can post:cool: ...

...and WELCOME to AT:) ...

...you shooting against CUZ anytime soon...you know the dude is getting married shortly...it will be his weakest moments...you could spank him like a red-headed step child during this time frame:p ...

...what kind of set up are you running there Clint, bow, arrows, etc.??...

...see ya round...glad you found the place:) ...

>>>---DD--->;)

·
Registered
236 Posts
I agree w/ Viper. I you can put your groups on a quarter @ 40 yrds ... and you shot w/ the string around your head (obviously I am joking) then who cares. It's all putting the arrow where you want it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts