Archery Talk Forum banner

Anchor point.

842 Views 13 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  I'm Not Ted
Today, I went out to my field and fired of a couple hundred shots testing a new anchor point. The one I am currently using (corner of the mouth) works alright but I wanted to try something new and see if I could get better. I have heard that the protrusion of the jaw right below your ear will work but is that true? Tried it and worked awesome. I have a short draw.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
38,292 Posts
Today, I went out to my field and fired of a couple hundred shots testing a new anchor point. The one I am currently using (corner of the mouth) works alright but I wanted to try something new and see if I could get better. I have heard that the protrusion of the jaw right below your ear will work but is that true? Tried it and worked awesome. I have a short draw.
If it works better for you it is better.

· Registered
11,287 Posts

Whenever you can create 2 or more references and include a bone on bone anchor...you will have a much easier time attaining and maintaining consistantcy.

That area of the jaw is a great place to use as an anchor point reference.

Ray ;)

· Registered
38,292 Posts
Good. I have a 27.5 in. draw from the corner of my mouth. I don't think I am getting all of the power I could out of my bow from there. I will start using my jaw from now on. Thanks guys! :)
Well, be sure to get some second opinions!

I had assumed that you meant you were going to use your thumb to hook on your jaw, I don't know about the index finger on the jaw, but if it works, it works.

· Registered
11,287 Posts
Picture...pictures...pictures. I think some of us would love to see exactly what you're talking about ;)

If it's working...great...but there maybe an even better option still out there...waiting for you to discover it or for you to be told how to do it.

Ray ;)

· One crazy Mutant ;)
9,084 Posts
I've recently changed to a similar anchor point.

My thumb joint closest to the web of my hand goes against my jaw bone where it turns up twords my ear.

With this anchor point my pointing finger is just touching the corner of my mouth which gives me roughly 27" draw length.

Shooting 474gr. arrows out of my 45# Bear Griz produces about 145fps.

· Registered
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Picture...pictures...pictures. I think some of us would love to see exactly what you're talking about ;)

If it's working...great...but there maybe an even better option still out there...waiting for you to discover it or for you to be told how to do it.

Ray ;)
Sorry, no digital camera. Besides, my huge arms would probably blind you guys. ;) I will see if I can find some similar pictures on the web. Maybe this will help: Feel around on your cheek. At one point, there is a kind of dent which is where your teeth begin. That is where I put my index finger. I then take my thumb, and hook it on the corner of my jaw bone.

· Registered
11,287 Posts
Sorry, no digital camera. Besides, my huge arms would probably blind you guys. ;) I will see if I can find some similar pictures on the web. Maybe this will help: Feel around on your cheek. At one point, there is a kind of dent which is where your teeth begin. That is where I put my index finger. I then take my thumb, and hook it on the corner of my jaw bone.
Sounds good...especially if you can find that exact spot everytime where you teeth begin and place your thumb in the exact place on your jaw bone.

How's your release...is it clean?

Ray ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.