Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a new Diamond Outlaw. My old anchor point was Index finger knuckle under the ear lobe.

That turned out to be a bad point. So i changed to the cheek bone. My question is, do you guys touch your nose to the string? I haven't adjusted ANY pins yet, and I'm shooting about 9 inches high. When i touch my nose to the string and change my anchor point to my cheek (I cant see through the peep), but Its hitting dead on at 20 yds. Should i stick with the new anchor points and move the peep down?

Hope that made sense.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Anchor/Peep Location

Just bought a new Diamond Outlaw. My old anchor point was Index finger knuckle under the ear lobe.

That turned out to be a bad point. So i changed to the cheek bone. My question is, do you guys touch your nose to the string? I haven't adjusted ANY pins yet, and I'm shooting about 9 inches high. When i touch my nose to the string and change my anchor point to my cheek (I cant see through the peep), but Its hitting dead on at 20 yds. Should i stick with the new anchor points and move the peep down?

Hope that made sense.
Start with a bow set to the proper draw legnth, draw and find comfortable (and repeatable) anchor point with your eyes closed. Once the anchor point is established, adjust peep so that when bow is drawn with eyes closed to anchor, then eyes opened there is no need to shift head or anchor to see sight through peep. Ideally you will see your entire sight housing through your peep.

·
Socket Man
23,852 Posts
Required order of events:

1. get a good anchor
2. set peep
3. put 40 yd pin in center of sight housing
4. sight in bow at 40 yds first

This allows you to have the 20 and 30 on the top half of the sight ring and 50 and 60 pins on the bottom half. Make sure that when you draw you don't center the pin you are using in your peep, line the peep up with the sight ring and leave it there then put the pin on the bulleseye.

·
Shooter of flesh
7,661 Posts
I teach people to hold the first knuckle (the one closest to your hand) of their index finger under the ear and behind the jaw bone. This is an extremely repeatable anchor point. When holding on your cheek somewhere, it can and will move all over the place. I would love to hear why "That turned out to be a bad point.". Was it something you found our for yourself, or did someone tell you this?

·
Come on October!!!!
3,033 Posts
Hopefully the store/shop where you bought the bow from set it to YOU and didn't just sell you the bow as is. The peep is just placed in a spot on the string with zero regard to whom may eventually own the bow. The knuckle in the earlobe is a rock solid anchor point. As stated, verify draw length, these run long by about 1/2" BTW. Then have your peep set using the eyes closed anchor method. You want to center the pin guard with the peep, this way no matter which pin you choose your form remains consistent.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts