Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, Everyone!.I was wondering, what are the Pro's, and Con's of the Angle Dyneema vs. the other high-performance types of string materials??..it is supposed to be quieter and softer on the shot....is it also slower, and stretchier, or what??...I am currently shooting strings made of D-97, and 8125, and regular 'ol FastFlight..Any info would be helpfull...Thanks in advance...Harperman

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
i heard that those Angel strings are supposed to be faster than fastflight, but that's just what i heard. i haven't seen any yet, tho.

:RockOn:

·
(aka lug nut)
48,453 Posts
Harperman said:
hello, Everyone!.I was wondering, what are the Pro's, and Con's of the Angle Dyneema vs. the other high-performance types of string materials??..it is supposed to be quieter and softer on the shot....is it also slower, and stretchier, or what??...I am currently shooting strings made of D-97, and 8125, and regular 'ol FastFlight..Any info would be helpfull...Thanks in advance...Harperman

http://www.hnlarchery.com/materials.html

That's a link to Leighton Tyau's company,
hnlarchery.com

He is a custom recurve string maker,
and has an excellent description
of the advantages and differences between
all the major string materials,

Angel ASB
Angel Majesty
Fast Flite
B-50 (dacron)

·
Archery Coach
23,292 Posts
Angel Majesty is slightly faster than a similar sized 8125 string. It fuzzes a bit faster than the 8125 as well. I shot it in a rain filled 90-70M stage of a fita recently and my sight marks DROPPED MORE than they would have with a 8125 made string. Probably due to the fact that ANGEL does not have the wax that the 8125-it has a different coating that when burnished into the twisted string appears to be a resin like material.

Leighton didn't have any information on his site about two other materials

TS-1 is spectra-its an upgraded version of fast flite. Spectra is now produced by Honeywell. It was requisitioned for ballistic armor by the military and no longer availabe in the US archery market. TS-1 Plus substituted Dyneema. Most dyneema is made in Europe-DSM I believe is the company in Holland. Japanese made Dyneema is by angel. The old angel was smaller diameter (lower denier) than the newer Euro-stuff. It was fast because it had no wax. BCY 02 was an attempt to copy it. the ASB angel snagged like crazy on just about anything. IT was high-maitenance stuff but fast. I find its obsolete now.

I still will probably shoot majesty outdoors. I like the colors of BCY 8125 and I think it lasts longer than Angel Majesty though.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Jim C said:
Angel Majesty is slightly faster than a similar sized 8125 string. It fuzzes a bit faster than the 8125 as well. I shot it in a rain filled 90-70M stage of a fita recently and my sight marks DROPPED MORE than they would have with a 8125 made string. Probably due to the fact that ANGEL does not have the wax that the 8125-it has a different coating that when burnished into the twisted string appears to be a resin like material.

Leighton didn't have any information on his site about two other materials

TS-1 is spectra-its an upgraded version of fast flite. Spectra is now produced by Honeywell. It was requisitioned for ballistic armor by the military and no longer availabe in the US archery market. TS-1 Plus substituted Dyneema. Most dyneema is made in Europe-DSM I believe is the company in Holland. Japanese made Dyneema is by angel. The old angel was smaller diameter (lower denier) than the newer Euro-stuff. It was fast because it had no wax. BCY 02 was an attempt to copy it. the ASB angel snagged like crazy on just about anything. IT was high-maitenance stuff but fast. I find its obsolete now.

I still will probably shoot majesty outdoors. I like the colors of BCY 8125 and I think it lasts longer than Angel Majesty though.

How about Kinetic Fury? I ordered a string from Leighton in this stuff to see how it performs. Anyone with some experience with it?

·
Archery Coach
23,292 Posts
PennMan said:
How about Kinetic Fury? I ordered a string from Leighton in this stuff to see how it performs. Anyone with some experience with it?

Never heard of it-who makes it. I tend to buy 90% BCY stuff because Chris Deston always gives me a good deal on stuff at the NFAA shoot or any other place I run into him./ So does Shirley Strickland for brownell but I don't see her as much:wink:

·
Genesis 21:20
21,786 Posts
IMO, none of this stuff is worth worrying about. Pick a material, and use it. Whether it's DF '97, 8125, BCY '02, Angel Majesty, Angel Dyneema, Etc., Etc., Etc. - it is of little consequence.

So long as your strings are well made and consistent from string to string, then just go shoot and don't spend any time thinking about it.

I hear all the time folks fixating on things like limb speed, stability and smoothness, string creep and stretch, serving qualities, etc.

These things - relatively speaking - are unimportant compared to good technique and preparation.

Maybe it's the nature of the sport, and maybe it's just the American culture, but most folks would be far better off if they spent as much time working on form as they did equipment.

John.

·
Lowered expectations
16,597 Posts
limbwalker said:
most folks would be far better off if they spent as much time working on form as they did equipment.
Man, that should be posted on a HUGE sign in every club, range and pro shop.

:thumbs_up

I am sooooo sick of listening to 1100 shooters discussing the relative stiffness of various risers, whether G3 limbs are smoother than Winex (or whatever).

There should be a rule that says you can't shoot a bow that costs more than your FITA score...

·
Archery Coach
23,292 Posts
Stash said:

true but that doesn't sell stuff. Why hire a coach when you can solve all your problems with a new bow or the latest greatest release or stabilizer:wink: :wink:

string making is the last part of tuning my bow though.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Stash said:

I am sooooo sick of listening to 1100 shooters discussing the relative stiffness of various risers, whether G3 limbs are smoother than Winex (or whatever).

There should be a rule that says you can't shoot a bow that costs more than your FITA score...
What's wrong with discussing equipment at any level?

·
Registered
318 Posts
discussing equipment isnt the problem, its when they become more focused on equipment then training, wihtout discussion how would u know if u wanna try something or not. what every archer in north america should be doing is training as much as they can and discuss equipment less when they should be trainin

kyle

·
Registered
518 Posts
Stash said:

It's good to see that there is a heirarchy and a caste system in archery as well.

Us begining recurve archers ("untouchables") will all now just genuflect at our keyboards to the enlightened 1300 FITA shooters ("brahmas").

:)

·
Registered
582 Posts
Us begining recurve archers ("untouchables") will all now just genuflect at our keyboards to the enlightened 1300 FITA shooters ("brahmas").

Now that was funny!
As always there are two sides (if not more) to the issue. I like to use string material to produce the tune I want. I have tried a stiff arrow and light string and weak arrow and heavy string in a tune. I like a certain foc on my arrow and plunger tension and I will use a different string material before I will sacrifice my other preferences. (Becasue as John stated they all work well)
To answer the question: I have to agree with Jim about the Old Dyneema material. No wax, snags on everything but light and quiet. The newer materials are more desirable and user friendly. D-97 and 8125 are still my favorites on a recurve, but must say I have been getting along nicely with a 452X string (needed the weight to achieve the tune I wanted) these days. The stuff is remarkably stable and stays put! 20 or 22 strands is most good.
Angel Magesty is IMHO way better than the old Dyneema and also very light. I find it moves a bit more than the BCY products and requires your attention more.

Cheers,
MG

·
Registered
361 Posts
tecshooter05 said:
discussing equipment isnt the problem, its when they become more focused on equipment then training, wihtout discussion how would u know if u wanna try something or not. what every archer in north america should be doing is training as much as they can and discuss equipment less when they should be trainin

kyle
Bingo.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts