Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well folks,

I took the advice many of you offered other readers on this board considering angled shots from an elevated position. I climbed right up into my treestand (16ft high) and shot as close to straight down as I felt comfortable with. It turned out to be about 6-8 yards from the tree my stand was in.

I ended up using my 20 yard pin (or in other words my top,first pin) and was right where I wanted to be. The reason I am posting this is because for some reason I believe I have read people saying they use a lower pin when the target is that close. Just wondering why I experienced different results?

Any explanations, or did I just read it wrong???
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
910 Posts
if you are that close you want to aim a lil high with your 20 yd pin to hit the mark. Just a lil bit, like a an inch or two_Often times you can use the 20 and still hit close enough it doesnt make difference as in your case. Its the same thing with a rifle scope . Your point of aim is a couple inches above the projectiles initial line of trajectory. the projectile has to travel at least some distance to match your line of sight with its trajectory .
 

·
(aka lug nut)
Joined
·
48,352 Posts
BOC said:
Well folks,

I took the advice many of you offered other readers on this board considering angled shots from an elevated position. I climbed right up into my treestand (16ft high) and shot as close to straight down as I felt comfortable with. It turned out to be about 6-8 yards from the tree my stand was in.

I ended up using my 20 yard pin (or in other words my top,first pin) and was right where I wanted to be. The reason I am posting this is because for some reason I believe I have read people saying they use a lower pin when the target is that close. Just wondering why I experienced different results?

Any explanations, or did I just read it wrong???
Hello BOC:

It's called parallax.



If you have a very steep down angle shot,
you actually must increase yardage.

Now, the rule of thumb
is that you must shoot the horizontal distance
for an uphill or down hill shot.

You are 16 feet up in your tree stand.
The horizontal distance is 8-yards.

So, if you used a range finder,
the range finder would tell you the line of sight distance
is 9.6 yards.

So, normally, folks say,
you must shoot the horizontal distance, which
in this example, we assumed as 8 yds = horizontal distance.

But, you did some real world testing,
and found out that in this case,
the correct setting was 20 yds.

That is due to parallax,
which means the standard rules do not apply,
when you are shooting practically straight down
or a very very steep angle.


So, if you look at my chart
from OnTarget2!, you see my scale settings.

Those are not yardage settings,
but ruler marks on my sight.

If you look at row 1,
you will see the ruler setting for a shot that is only 7 feet away =
32+4 clicks.

Well, a ruler setting of 32+4 clicks
is also the correct sight scale setting for a target bullseye at 97 yards.

So, I can put my "pin" on a bullseye at 7 feet away and
nail the x-ring

or

I can put the same pin setting on a bullseye 97 yards away,
and also hit the x-ring.

On the target 7-feet away,
I am leaning forward noticeably.

That's why a 8-yard shot (horizontal distance)
when you are 16 feet up in the air,
needs a 20 yd pin setting (steep down angle).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
971 Posts
Buy Ontarget2 and you get a simulator for tree stand shooting and cut charts for up and down shots like the screen shots below :)
Cheers
Peter
 

Attachments

·
(aka lug nut)
Joined
·
48,352 Posts
Ausie said:
Buy Ontarget2 and you get a simulator for tree stand shooting and cut charts for up and down shots like the screen shots below :)
Cheers
Peter

Yup.

Time to buy OnTarget2!
That's what I did a long time ago,
and have been much happier for it.

Saved a bunch of $$ buying the right arrow shafts
in the correct stiffness the first time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,974 Posts
it also dpeends on how high you have you peep set also. a lower peep setting will allow you to use say your twenty pin for 8 to 10 yard shots, versus a higher peep heigth wherre you have to use longer yardage pins.

since you have already tested it, shoot with what you know works for you is what i would suggest to you
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
971 Posts
Moose mustard said:
I dont know about you, but I usually dont take my laptop up in my tree stand with me.
Really :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,494 Posts
BOC said:
Well folks,

I took the advice many of you offered other readers on this board considering angled shots from an elevated position. I climbed right up into my treestand (16ft high) and shot as close to straight down as I felt comfortable with. It turned out to be about 6-8 yards from the tree my stand was in.

I ended up using my 20 yard pin (or in other words my top,first pin) and was right where I wanted to be. The reason I am posting this is because for some reason I believe I have read people saying they use a lower pin when the target is that close. Just wondering why I experienced different results?

Any explanations, or did I just read it wrong???
you did just what you should do.do your own testing.good job.....now keep it cool when that 10pt walks under you.......
 

·
The Impartial Archer
Joined
·
18,273 Posts
What I do is a little old fashion but I just practice close shots from my tree stand with my 3D deer target. After a few minutes you figure out what you need to do. You definitely do not want to wing it because it can fool you. The bad news is there are variations like if you bend at your waist or lower your bow arm, arrow speed...So I think it just best to DO IT a lot before you hit the woods.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,839 Posts
nuts&bolts said:
Yup.

Time to buy OnTarget2!
That's what I did a long time ago,
and have been much happier for it.

Saved a bunch of $$ buying the right arrow shafts
in the correct stiffness the first time.
No, question about it. The program will show you the answers if you learn how to use it. One of the best cheapest investments I have every made. It is available as a trial download at www.pinwheelsoftware.com

deadquiet said:
What I do is a little old fashion but I just practice close shots from my tree stand with my 3D deer target. After a few minutes you figure out what you need to do. You definitely do not want to wing it because it can fool you. The bad news is there are variations like if you bend at your waist or lower your bow arm, arrow speed...So I think it just best to DO IT a lot before you hit the woods.
I agree, you need to practice these shots. Shoot the target as if it was a live deer too. Yeap, you need to keep it cool. Buck fever can get the best of any shooter. Success brings success, the first kill is always the hardest.
 

·
NC ASA Director
Joined
·
35,983 Posts
Put a small dot on the deer and see if you can center punch it with your 20 from 8 yards like that.

If you can, you are good to go.

Remember, always pic a spot.

Shoot to kill.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top