Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used Annihilator broadheads? They seem very durable, but how do they hold up in the wind or longer distances?

·
Registered
743 Posts
Being that they are a small cutting diameter Id imagine theyd have no issue in wind or at long distance.

I cant comment from first hand experience though.

Youtube.com/chestthumperoutdoors

·
Registered
835 Posts
Haven’t used them on game but yes. They shoot very very well in wind and at long range

·
Registered
196 Posts
What is everyone using for fletching with anhilators? I for the life of me cannot get them to fly well with my aae max stealth vanes. My bow is tuned, bareshaft at 20, 30 and 40 yds for as well as I can shoot they hit within 3-4 inches and line up with my fletched arrows, I've even shot one out to 80yds and it hit within a pie plate of where I was aiming and my fletched arrows, not something I normally can pull off but that day I was shooting very well and it was probably a one off. Anyways, all my other broadheads (day six, qad, ram cat, stinger, magnus) hit fairly well with my arrows and are decent or within my acceptance for aiming out to 60yds, but the anhilators seem to take control and not fly well and hit like 6-8' off. Presuming this is a fletching issue and I need to go to a 4 fletch to get more control in the back end.

Currently, using max stealth in a helical, in a 3 vane configuration. I do not recall this being an issue with the tac vanes I had on previously, and they flew quite well, I got annoyed with them always blowing off the shafts after awhile and switched back to max stealth vanes as I never had an issue.

·
Registered
430 Posts
What is everyone using for fletching with anhilators? I for the life of me cannot get them to fly well with my aae max stealth vanes. My bow is tuned, bareshaft at 20, 30 and 40 yds for as well as I can shoot they hit within 3-4 inches and line up with my fletched arrows, I've even shot one out to 80yds and it hit within a pie plate of where I was aiming and my fletched arrows, not something I normally can pull off but that day I was shooting very well and it was probably a one off. Anyways, all my other broadheads (day six, qad, ram cat, stinger, magnus) hit fairly well with my arrows and are decent or within my acceptance for aiming out to 60yds, but the anhilators seem to take control and not fly well and hit like 6-8' off. Presuming this is a fletching issue and I need to go to a 4 fletch to get more control in the back end.

Currently, using max stealth in a helical, in a 3 vane configuration. I do not recall this being an issue with the tac vanes I had on previously, and they flew quite well, I got annoyed with them always blowing off the shafts after awhile and switched back to max stealth vanes as I never had an issue.
I was having the issue with my arrows fletcher the same. My brodheads kept hitting low out past 70 yards. When I called annihilator the owner answered answered explained that it has to do with how heavy the Max Stealth is. He suggested I move the vanes back toward the nock a little and so far that has seemed to help. I don't think you need more vane. I think because of how the air flows over the broadhead too much vane actually becomes a problem and creates extra drag.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Yeah mine are not just dropping low. They corkscrew in flight. And tend to hit left or right of where I am aiming. Originally I thought it was the spine of the arrow and I might be underspined however my bareshafts and other Broadheads of the same weight all hit within say 4-6inches out to 50yds and the bareshaft us straight not pointing left right or down.. Thought it might be my shooting but then I shouldn't be able to do that with a bareshaft out to 50 yds otherwise I'd see that in my shots.

It's probably a combination of an 87lb bow, arrow speed and the vane, I'm also riding the edge with my arrows and spine at 150 grain tips, although it does it with the 100grain versions as well, just not as bad, oddly my other heads all hit well, so that leads me.to believe it's something else. My Tac vanes had the anhilators hitting with the others and field pts, however the tac vanes were so stiff my arrow wraps were ripping off under the fletching when I shot. I could barely do a helical with them without the arrow wrap ripping off after 3-4 shots, hence why I switched back to aae stealth as they are more flexible.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
196 Posts
Tried them again lastnight and I'm almost positive it's the fletching and I need more to control the head as the others all hit well to 50yds, there will be variations dependent on the individual head, but they hit withing 6" of each other and fletched at 50yds. Where as my anhilators hit all over.

I'm going to relfetch a few arrows with different configurations and try them out again.

·
Registered
10,474 Posts
Tried them again lastnight and I'm almost positive it's the fletching and I need more to control the head as the others all hit well to 50yds, there will be variations dependent on the individual head, but they hit withing 6" of each other and fletched at 50yds. Where as my anhilators hit all over.

I'm going to relfetch a few arrows with different configurations and try them out again.

Try spine aligning your shafts and make sure you are not under spined.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I spine align every arrow with the dynamic spine, yes I have the tools to do this and I also nock tune to dbl check, fyi victories spine marks are typically off by 1/4-1/2 turn in all the ones I have checked.

The spine is fine, it's close to being underspined which is why I dialed the bow back 2-3lbs so I had good flight with my bareshaft and that corrected it. If I was underspined I wouldn't be able to bareshaft out to 40-50yds and hit well with field pts.

All my other Broadheads with 150 grains fly and hit with field pts. I do have one or two arrows that fly weird no matter what I do and that happens those are tossed aside and used for field pts only as they fly well with those .

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Shoot well for me just like any other quality head. My only complaint is they don’t get as sharp as I would prefer. 4140 steel is a steel you make hammers out of not blades. Low carbon content isn’t good for sharpness or edge retention. I like the design, I like the quality, just not a fan of the chosen material. I’ve gotten OCD about broadhead sharpness this year lol.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I've been shooting Annihilators for 3 years now. For me the point of impact is exactly where my field points hit, and that's huge. No changing my set-up from field points to broadheads. I was a little skeptical about the small cutting diameter at first, but I've taken a couple of deer and a turkey with them and not lost an animal.

·
Registered
196 Posts
That's great, what vanes are you using? I just got back so I'm debating switching them out in a few arrows to test out.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I haven’t shot them a lot yet but what I have shot is the best shooting fixed blade I’ve ever shot. Thru 2 different bows and 3 different arrows all have shot well out to 70. The best shooting has been tac driver 2.75 - 3 fletched with 2-3 degree right helical. The 3 fletch 2.75 seem to shoot better than 4 fletch 2.25s and 4 fletch 2.75s for me. I haven’t done real extensive comparisons between the 3 and 4 fletch by any means but I have noticed a little better grouping with the 3 fletch 2.75s and so that’s what I’ve been shooting the most and every time I can’t believe how well they shoot at distance even when not executing perfect shots.

That’s been a combo of shooting VAP elites, RIP TKO and Easton hexx. And out of a vxr and a revolt x.

Another note when I first ordered the tac vanes I didn’t order their glue and primer pen. I used the aae primer pen and max bond glued straight to carbon hexx shaft. Haven’t had any problems with adhesion but it wasn’t the best fletching job I have ever done and the fletching kinda got a little ripple or whatever in em. Not sure if it has to do with the glue or primer I used. I ordered their primer pen and glue but I also used one stringer wraps when I fletched the VAPs and rhe RIP TKOs and those are the best fletching jobs I’ve ever done. They’re just perfect. So I don’t know if it had to do with using wraps or their primer pen and glue but I’m not gonna change anythint

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
I just shot them today for the first time on VAP SS fletched with AAE Hybrid 2.6's. Flew awesome out to 40ish then went back to 82 yards and the fell flat on their face and hit the dirt about 12-15" low. I only tried that vane. My QAD Exodus, GR Micro Hades, G5 M3, Tooth of the Arrow XL and VPA solid all fly perfect with these vanes. Way too many options not to worry about a 2.6" vane being "too much drag"

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Shoot well for me just like any other quality head. My only complaint is they don’t get as sharp as I would prefer. 4140 steel is a steel you make hammers out of not blades. Low carbon content isn’t good for sharpness or edge retention. I like the design, I like the quality, just not a fan of the chosen material. I’ve gotten OCD about broadhead sharpness this year lol.
I found this as well...

I can get them sharp enough to shave hair...but not spooky sharp.

They dont pop rubber bands easily either.

This is likely the reason WHY they survive all sorts of destruction tests relatively undamaged.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I found this as well...

I can get them sharp enough to shave hair...but not spooky sharp.

They dont pop rubber bands easily either.

This is likely the reason WHY they survive all sorts of destruction tests relatively undamaged.
If diamond plates could be made thin and flexible, the staysharp 344 guide would be a great tool for this endeavor.

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
If diamond plates could be made thin and flexible, the staysharp 344 guide would be a great tool for this endeavor.
THIS!!^

I used the 344 on one of mine and got it at least under 400 grams of pressure on the Sharp Electronic meter. That took a lot of multiple grades of wet/dry sandpaper though. Still not QAD sharp after using a Stay Sharp.

·
Registered
771 Posts
THIS!!^

I used the 344 on one of mine and got it at least under 400 grams of pressure on the Sharp Electronic meter. That took a lot of multiple grades of wet/dry sandpaper though. Still not QAD sharp after using a Stay Sharp.
I can only imagine that daunting task. The metal on the annihilator would eat up so much sandpaper it'd be insane.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts