Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
straight? Ofset? Helical? same glue ? or just anny outher tips you think that would help me out . thank you

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I like feathers with a helical when I use them. They're pretty that way. Also, I only shoot feathers out of a recurve. Make sure you don't try to rush the glue. If using fletchtite, I would recommend a minimum 15 minutes setting time for each feather.

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
If they are right wing go right helical. If left wing go left helical. Simple enough.

Like any other fletch maked sure that the bases are making good contact from end to end before gluing any.

I have used FletchTite Platinum and Gorilla rubberized super glue. Both work, but the FTP dries cleared and Gorilla is hazy white. FTP takes a little longer to set up, though. I put a bead of glue on the bases then dab the base on a piece of paper to remove the excess and spread the glue across the base. I makes for a perfect, neat fletch job every time without lots of "bleed out".

Take your time. Using FTP you should leave the feather clamped for about five minutes each. This will take about 3 hours for a dozen arrows, but they won't be able to be pulled off. Add a small dab at both ends of the feather after fletching to keep them from getting messed up in deep target penetrations (and the drop on front makes them quieter in flight).

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Also, take a Q tip and some alcohol and moisten the spine of the fletch before you put the glue on...it softens the spine and allows it to make better contact with the shaft.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ttt

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
I spray the shaft with accelerator right before I apply the fletch. I use goat tuff for glue. I let each one sit for about 30 seconds or so and rotate it and go to the next one and repeat...

It works great FOR ME on aluminums.

Btw, put a dab of glue on the tip and end as well bc sometimes the tips will peel up.

·
Registered
372 Posts
All good responses so far. Definitely take your time and let the glue set before taking off your clamp. You definitely have to have patience when fletching with feathers.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Fletching tape. :thumbs_up
Greatest thing since sliced bread.

As with vanes or feathers, put a dab of glue on each end.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
If they are right wing go right helical. If left wing go left helical. Simple enough.

Like any other fletch maked sure that the bases are making good contact from end to end before gluing any.

I have used FletchTite Platinum and Gorilla rubberized super glue. Both work, but the FTP dries cleared and Gorilla is hazy white. FTP takes a little longer to set up, though. I put a bead of glue on the bases then dab the base on a piece of paper to remove the excess and spread the glue across the base. I makes for a perfect, neat fletch job every time without lots of "bleed out".

Take your time. Using FTP you should leave the feather clamped for about five minutes each. This will take about 3 hours for a dozen arrows, but they won't be able to be pulled off. Add a small dab at both ends of the feather after fletching to keep them from getting messed up in deep target penetrations (and the drop on front makes them quieter in flight).
This sums it up great like he said pay attention to the left or right wing
designation on the feather package. I have seen even pro shops attempting to use a right wing feathers on a left helical clamp. It dont work.:icon_1_lol::darkbeer:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts