Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone with some knowlege of metal finishing tell me which is more durable? I want to have my wife's Drenalin riser blacked out and want a durable finish...hopefully more durable than the original Camo finish. I know the Z7 and Reezen black risers are anodized. I called Mathews. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
While both are surface treatments and "scratchable", I think the Duracoat is more resistant to scratching, is quieter, and feels better. My .02.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
I also like Duracoat better - but I think against heavy abrasion, like sandpaper, the anodizing is a bit tougher. Duracoat looks better, IMO, and is plenty tough enough for bow risers. Comes in a big variety of colors as well.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool! Thanks for the replies! I think I'm going to be sending my riser to Lee Martin for coating. I have a PM out to him. My wife wants black with purple cutouts. I think it will look pretty sharp! :shade:

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
I also like Duracoat, it has held up very well on my shotgun that I turkey hunt with (run and gun style) and it does look sweet, this is what is on my bow, remember preperation is critical, color is SOCOM Black, just between flat and satin finish

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Nice job. I did one recently in a Duracoat color called "Tactical Dark Earth". Looks great. I don't think a bow riser is large enough to justify the complex camo dipping that everyone uses these days. Those fancy camo jobs appear to be more about selling them to us archers than fooling a deer in the woods.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Duracoat

Attachments

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
that is bada**

·
Registered
913 Posts
I prefer DuraCoat over any anodizing and especially over any dipping since the DuraCoat requires a bit of "heart and soul" of the person who is doing the painting. It is also far more durable than the dipping. Anodizing is a tough finish also. Here is what you can achieve with DuraCoat. It does take some equipment, tools and know how to get a proper and durable finish using the DuraCoat. If you need some advice on tools to use then PM me and I can try to help out. I have painted hundreds of items using this coating so have learned a few things.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Find an shop that does hard anodizing. I worked for years in a shop that did it. Makes a very scratch resistant finish and can also be colored black.

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
Lee Martin

contact Lee Martin here on At he has a coating business and can help you out and is a great guy to work with... he is doing my bow right now in black.

·
Registered
11,379 Posts
I prefer DuraCoat over any anodizing and especially over any dipping since the DuraCoat requires a bit of "heart and soul" of the person who is doing the painting. It is also far more durable than the dipping. Anodizing is a tough finish also. Here is what you can achieve with DuraCoat. It does take some equipment, tools and know how to get a proper and durable finish using the DuraCoat. If you need some advice on tools to use then PM me and I can try to help out. I have painted hundreds of items using this coating so have learned a few things.

That turkey bow is sweet!:mg:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts