1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
1,245 Posts
lol

·
Registered
9,862 Posts
I've done a bunch of my rests at home. Experiment with scrap stuf first until you get the time and temperature correct or you'll ruin things. I try not to go over 72 degrees in the acid bath when anodizing arrow rest parts.
You need the right chemicals, cleaners/etch and dye and you can do a pretty good job.

Try caswelplating.com it's where I got my stuff and reading material. Kinda fun actually!

·
Registered
798 Posts
I had looked into this, and Caswell Plating, in the past. My concern was the acid fumes, and vapors, in the garage. I am not sure how much the vapors would harm other objects would be in the vicinity.

·
Registered
9,862 Posts
There are vapors and smells, don't do this in your house!

·
Registered
236 Posts
I've done many paintball guns,barrels, drops etc. it is fun but it is a pain in the ass too. If i wasn't doing it for $$ I wouldn't have been doing it. with the sulfuric acid, nitric acid etc you go through a lot of cloths\pain\worry. I also have a decent rectifier that costs hundreds. if I were doing limb pockets I would send them out. if I were doing a riser...i would send it out, you would need a huge bath for that!

its a fun hobby but a lot to go through

·
Registered
9,862 Posts
succes with the procedures stated in the article, or success doing it a different way with diferent stuff from caswell????!!!

The article gives a rough idea of what to do and how to go about it but the kit and books I got from Caswel Plating is much better. I think I spent about $130.00 for everything I got and the chemicals ARE what you're supposed to use, There is more to it than the article explains. It will give good results but the finished product relies very much on the finish of the part before anodizing.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Bottom line, you can get a bow. limb pockets, cams, and pretty much darn near anything else you want coated by someone from roughly $150-200 and you don't have to worry about safety precautions and all the other fun stuff. Although it would be fun to do yourself and just piddle around with, sounds like a pain more than anything.

·
Registered
9,862 Posts
,,, or you could take pride in having custom colored items on your bow that no one else has and say you did it your self. Things like sights, arrow rests and cable roller brackets that companies normally leave black can be custom colored in about an hour from stripping to finished.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts