Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've decided to stick with one bow and have it pull double duty for 3-D and Field so I'm going to shoot Maxima 3-D Selects. I've ran the shaft on OT2! and AA and I've got them cut to 29". I'm shooting 54 lbs., 30" draw and the shafts are 250's.

If I use Flight Mate points I can go up to 112 grains and that's how I've set them up now. With those points it shoots 272 out of my Ultra Elite with C2 cams. Set up like that the arrows weigh 352 and the f.o.c. is almost 13% and they are just a tad stiff but I mean just a tad. They're set up just about perfectly for the way I normally set arrows up for a starting point.

According to the program a 90 gr. point would put me at about 280 which is a little better 3-D speed. I'd really like to be at that speed but I don't want to sacrifice too much to get it. If I go to the 90 gr. points it's going to be a bit stiffer and f.o.c. is going to be about 10.5%.

So my question is if you guys were setting up a double duty arrow just like this which of the two setups would you lean toward for a starting point and why?

Also, kind of related, if I decide to go with the 90 gr. points I may change to the Easton Hyperspeed series nibbs with the long shank because I really like the way the fit these shafts better. How much if any does that long shank affect the spine? I'm just wondering because if the lighter point is going to make it stiffer already I don't want to go too stiff if that comes into play too very much.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I am kinda confused.

Why would someone have a different bow/arrows/set-up for 3-d vs. Field?

I was under the impression that the object of all of these activities was to put an arrow where you want it to go. . .and that a properly set-up bow/arrow combination would accomplish this end regardless of the enviroment.

Why could someone not use the same bow/arrows/set-up to hit a spot- be it a target face, a spot on a foam animal?

I need some education on this one. . . What is the difference (if any) between 3-D and Field shooting equipment/set-ups?

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I am kinda confused.

Why would someone have a different bow/arrows/set-up for 3-d vs. Field?

I was under the impression that the object of all of these activities was to put an arrow where you want it to go. . .and that a properly set-up bow/arrow combination would accomplish this end regardless of the enviroment.

Why could someone not use the same bow/arrows/set-up to hit a spot- be it a target face, a spot on a foam animal?

I need some education on this one. . . What is the difference (if any) between 3-D and Field shooting equipment/set-ups?
Well some will say there is no difference and that's a fine outlook and opinion but the fact is there are little things that one can do differently for each and every venue of archery. It's kind of like a lot of other things really. A real good example would be skeet vs. trap shooting. In that, even the targets are the same but I'd venture to guess that most shooters don't use the same gun or at least choke tube for both types of shooting.

My ideal 3-D set up would be a fat arrow and I can shoot the heavier poundage needed to get the speed limit out of that fat arrow since there are only 30 3-D targets vs. 112 for field. There are a few reasons not to shoot a fat arrow at field though. One is kiss outs, another is the occasionally wind burst, and another is more damage to the arrows. Also, f.o.c. is not quite as important in 3-D since 50 yds. is about the longest you'll shoot. I've had 3-D setups with less than 6% f.o.c. before and they shot fine at the shorter distances but when you need tight groups at 80 yds. most will want a heavier point.

So... to have a set up that works well for both at the same time, arrow diameter is the sacrifice I decided to make.

Your thoughts are welcome and I don't disagree that any bow and any arrow will put it in the middle of any target but if it were that simple then there wouldn't be hundreds of bows and hundreds of arrows to choose from now would there?

·
Registered
345 Posts
I agree with you.

My question was one of genuine curiosity, not to be contrary.

I appreciate your insight, and I do see where you are coming from, but I am still a bit confused.

(and I would tend to think that Capitalism, not genuine need of the Archery community, would be a bigger reason for so many different types of equipment. . .but I could be mistaken.)

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with you.

My question was one of genuine curiosity, not to be contrary.

I appreciate your insight, and I do see where you are coming from, but I am still a bit confused.

(and I would tend to think that Capitalism, not genuine need of the Archery community, would be a bigger reason for so many different types of equipment. . .but I could be mistaken.)
I understand the curiosity, I'm just not sure what there is to be confused about. Different venues call for different equipment. It's just that simple. Only if a person wants to though. Many people have one bow and one arrow set up and choose to shoot just that, others don't.

I think capitalism though really has little to do with there being a shaft like the Victory X-Ringer HV that is the diameter of a 2413 but weighs 6.3 grs. per inch and then there's an X10 that's spined pretty close to the same and weighs almost 3 grs. per inch more and you can probably fit 3 or 4 of them inside the X-Ringer. Those two arrows are just geared toward a specific usage. Now that can be considered capitalism in and of itself but not in the way I think you were referring.

Anyway, I hope that clears up some of the confusion. If not just shoot me a pm and I'm glad to discuss it more with you. Hopefully others will chime in here on this thread and get it on topic.

·
Registered
345 Posts
. . .I understand the curiosity, I'm just not sure what there is to be confused about. Different venues call for different equipment. It's just that simple. . . .
Ok. I see. Different venues call for different equipment, and this different equipment was created expressly to aid/benefit said venues. I think I understand that. So as long as one has the information on these products and how they exactly help the different venues, then the decision should be relatively easy to make. Thank you for clearing that up for me. :thumbs_up

. . . I think capitalism though really has little to do with there being a shaft like the Victory X-Ringer HV that is the diameter of a 2413 but weighs 6.3 grs. per inch and then there's an X10 that's spined pretty close to the same and weighs almost 3 grs. per inch more and you can probably fit 3 or 4 of them inside the X-Ringer. Those two arrows are just geared toward a specific usage. Now that can be considered capitalism in and of itself but not in the way I think you were referring. . .
You are correct. The word I should have used was marketing. My bad. :dontknow:

. . .Anyway, I hope that clears up some of the confusion. If not just shoot me a pm and I'm glad to discuss it more with you. Hopefully others will chime in here on this thread and get it on topic . . .
Sorry for cluttering up your thread, I do appreciate your insight.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok. I see. Different venues call for different equipment, and this different equipment was created expressly to aid/benefit said venues. I think I understand that. So as long as one has the information on these products and how they exactly help the different venues, then the decision should be relatively easy to make. Thank you for clearing that up for me. :thumbs_up

You are correct. The word I should have used was marketing. My bad. :dontknow:

Sorry for cluttering up your thread, I do appreciate your insight.
Hey, no problems J. :darkbeer:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts