Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shoot a Mathews SQ2, 26" Easton Axis 500 arrows with a 58# draw weight. My 100gr FP's shoot well but I've just started shooting 100gr Montec G5 practice heads and they are all over the place. I'm not getting a grouping at all. Ideas?

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
All over the place is not good. :)
I'm not sure if 500s are the right spine for you or not and will let others comment on that. Were your arrows squared on the ends or just cut? That can make a difference.
Also, indexing your nocks might help.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
All over the place is not good. :)
Spine and/or centershot will give left/right bias, nocking point and/or cam timing will demonstrate hi/lo bias.

All over the place with BH's may be due to inadequate offset on the vanes, or misaligned BH's.

What is your fletch offset/size, and how fast are the arrows coming out of the bow?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The arrows were cut by a local pro shop so I assumed all was well but I just looked at the ends and they aren't square so that's one issue.

I did a powder test on the fletchings and there was some contact. I made adjustments to eliminate the contact so I should have that fixed. This did help considerably and now each arrow is shooting consistent.

The arrows seem to spin fine, there's not any noticeable wobble.

The fletch offset was done by the pro shop but appears to be 1/8".

I'm not sure how fast the arrows come off the bow. I'm going to square a few arrow ends and see where that gets me and report back.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
It's often surprising how little contact can mess up the plan.

The vane offset sounds like plenty. There have been a number of posts about Bass Pro and Cabela's fletching on shafts, the vanes are almost straight, and that will almost always be a problem with a fixed blade head.

Speed/tuning is a dynamic issue. There's a low end speed where tuning requirements are minimal, and most of us have limitations on form, hardware, and tuning skills at the "upper" end of the speed range. But even slow setups absolutely require a straight BH alignment to fly well.

Sounds like you're getting there though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts