Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for my first serious target site.

Purpose, indoor spots. Maybe 3D later but primary purpose is indoor target.

I have been reviewing various sites and reviews and am trying to decide between a Sure Loc Supreme and a CBE Elite target. I am also thking along the lines of a Viper scope.

Most of the CBE vs Sure Loc threads I have found are several years old so I'd like to get a newer debate going.

Some things I have seen in other threads that may be icorrect or contrevesial and I would be interested in getting some perspective on;
1) There has been a falling out of Sure Loc ownera recently due to the old desighn and that the sites meed to be tightened up or loosen up. That older years did not have this problem.
2) 3rd axis adjustment on CBE is not very good or easy to adjust.
3) CBE windage and elevation adjustments are smooth without click steps. Is this correct? Did not make sense to me for a targwt site but I saw someone post this.
4) Sure Loc still uses stick on tapes, CBE uses an engraved marking system.

Anything else?

Which would you get if you were buying today and why?

Thanks

·
Registered
145 Posts
Never had a sure lol but I love my CBE it's rock solid

·
Registered
651 Posts
CBE just seems to be of better quality then SureLoc I just switched over from a Tek Hunter to the Elite Target and the smaller scope housing for indoor.

·
Registered
873 Posts
On the stick on tapes vs engraved tapes issue I'm not sure why it would make a difference. Unless you're getting you CBE's markings custom engraved for your exact bow, sight distance from peep and your peep height over the arrow the markings aren't any good anyways. It won't matter in your indoor shooting but when you start shooting 3-D at longer varying ranges you're going to want a custom tape so it's going to be taped on either way.

I have a Supreme 550 and a Supreme 400.....both are older sights and both are extremely repeatable. I haven't had any looseness problems with either, push the button...slide to the correct yardage and let go of button....sight is spot on.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On the stick on tapes vs engraved tapes issue I'm not sure why it would make a difference. Unless you're getting you CBE's markings custom engraved for your exact bow, sight distance from peep and your peep height over the arrow the markings aren't any good anyways. It won't matter in your indoor shooting but when you start shooting 3-D at longer varying ranges you're going to want a custom tape so it's going to be taped on either way.

I have a Supreme 550 and a Supreme 400.....both are older sights and both are extremely repeatable. I haven't had any looseness problems with either, push the button...slide to the correct yardage and let go of button....sight is spot on.
That is the only thing holding me back from a Sure Loc. The more recent reviews I have seen of the Sure Loc indicates the site loosening up or having to keep a set of allen wrenches with you to keep it tight.

So any more information on current manufacturing years having problems?

The comment on the tape issue above makes sense so I wont worry about that for my decision.

Thanks, keep it comming,

·
Registered
26 Posts
I don't own either sight. But I do notice all the CBE sights that are for sale in the classifieds every day.

·
Life is the Pits
4,433 Posts
CBE with the Viper scope is what I am shooting, and I prefer this set up to any I have used in the past. I have not found the need for a light with this set up as well.

·
74,535 Posts
Both are good sights.

I always shot CBE because of less parts to move. CBE is a high qaulity sight and never failed me.
DB

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
With the CBE I wish there was a quick way to detach the scope so the sight could fit in a case.
I read somewhere that they are coming out with a new sight this year. It is supposed to have a quick detach.
I shoot the Quadlite 3d and have plenty of room for adjustment.
The sight markings on the back of the Elite sights would be used in conjunction with a conversion sheet and sight clicks. This would probably be useful if you use the sight on several bows. You would just have a different conversion sheet for each bow.
I really like my Quadlite 3d. I am almost certain the Elite sights click. My Quadlite does not though.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What about offset blocks for the CBE? Is there good range in windage adjustment on the CBE? Sure Loc comes with an offset block.

So I am seeing mostly pro CBE reviews here, anyone want to talk more about the advantages / issues with the Sure Loc Supreme?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Which sights are you referring to? CBE has target sights with clicks, a place for stick on tapes, and I do not understand why you have heard 3rd axis is hard to adjust. My Tek Target has the adjustment wheel so no clicks with that one.

I have the Sureloc challenger. This sight is no where near as good as the Supreme, but I still do not carry wrenches to tighten it.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I've shot both lately, sure-loc for the last decade but have to say seems since they sold out there quality has went straight into the toilet an there reputation is quickly following, CBE all the way for me.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
I've owned sureloc for twenty years. I have no complaints at all about there sights or customer service. Solid as a rock to me. I have not shot a CBE nor do I know anyone who has. I have noticed that they are easy to come by in the classifieds. I have no reason or desire to change. Nothing about the CBE sights says I need to have one.

·
Shooter of flesh
7,661 Posts
Wow, I would NEVER buy another CBE sight again. Instead of trying to save a few bucks and dealing with the rattling issues and NOT having a quick movement method for large adjustments of the sight, just break down and get either a Shibuya, Sure-Loc or an Axcel Achieve CXL.

I eventually got good service with CBE, but only after I came on here and complained about sending it in to be fixed the first time and getting it back in worse condition. Brian at CBE is great, but even still, I would just spend the extra and have something that will last a LONG time that works. And my sight was NOT the only one with problems...two others with the same issue!

Interesting that this came up, I just spent the last half hour talking with their new rep for our shop. I have to tell him what I really thought of CBE.

LOVE Scott...CBE, not so much.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Funny, I bought a Sure Loc Supreme exactly one year ago. It was a piece of crap. Wouldn't stop rattling, the block adjustment screws broke due to vibration, the S2 scope exploded, couldn't find a retainer ring for it to save my life... A total nightmare experience for equipment I paid close to $500 for.

Then I went to LA in person, tried the CBE Elite, and that's where the problems stopped. That thing is built like a tank. Zero rattling, precise adjustments... I love it.

If you've narrowed it down to these two, the CBE is the one I'd recommend hands down.

Only thing it's missing imo is rapid adjust... For 3d it can get annoying to crank it up and down all the time... But for spots it's flawless.

·
Shooter of flesh
7,661 Posts
Funny, I bought a Sure Loc Supreme exactly one year ago. It was a piece of crap. Wouldn't stop rattling, the block adjustment screws broke due to vibration, the S2 scope exploded, couldn't find a retainer ring for it to save my life... A total nightmare experience for equipment I paid close to $500 for.

Then I went to LA in person, tried the CBE Elite, and that's where the problems stopped. That thing is built like a tank. Zero rattling, precise adjustments... I love it.

If you've narrowed it down to these two, the CBE is the one I'd recommend hands down.

Only thing it's missing imo is rapid adjust... For 3d it can get annoying to crank it up and down all the time... But for spots it's flawless.
Mine and the ones we sold didn't rattle at first either...just wait.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Mine and the ones we sold didn't rattle at first either...just wait.
I have nothing to gain or lose by recommending one or the other. That said, I've been shooting the CBE for 10 months, it has in the neighborhood of 20.000 shots, and it's still like it was day one.

Don't want to jinx it, but so far so good.

·
Shooter of flesh
7,661 Posts
I have nothing to gain or lose by recommending one or the other. That said, I've been shooting the CBE for 10 months, it has in the neighborhood of 20.000 shots, and it's still like it was day one.

Don't want to jinx it, but so far so good.
Hey...I don't want to jinx it either! I just look back to when I bought it and have always regretted it. Like was said, it's a pain in the back side to use at a 3D and when mine and my buddies started to rattle...well, that just confirmed that I should have bought a Sure-Loc. If I was buying today, I would go with the Axcel Achieve CXL.

Trust me...I do wish you the best of luck with yours and truly hope that CBE has permanently fixed the rattling problem. I've had mine for 4 years now, but the rattling problem started after about a year.
Good luck.

·
Back Yard Champion
29,756 Posts
I have 4 Sure Locs. 3 Challengers (2 400s and 1 550) and 1 Supreme 400. All are probably before Sure Loc was sold. All work like brand new, no breakage, no worn parts. Supreme always rattled some. Bought my first one in year 2000, my 2nd in 2005, my 3rd and 4th in the last 3 years.
My first was used 5 years on 5 different bows and probably has 100,000 arrows flung - still tight as when it was new. One, I forget which, the knurled thumb nut won't stay tight and a allen wrench is needed, but after, it doesn't come loose.

I had one CBE sight frame and won't have another - just clunky to me - buddy likes his. Had the Cooper Johns, sold it because of how all the "junk" stuff I had to do, not that it wasn't a good sight frame.

My old Sure Locs work so good I doubt I'll need another. Heck (knock on wood) I haven't even broke a scope rod....13 years is long time for a scope rod by most reports.....

1 - 20 of 49 Posts