Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after shooting my 60# Black Ops Destroyer for a month or so now, I bit the bullet and bought a second 70# Destroyer in Hardwoods Grey from Bowhuntern here on AT. :D
Received the bow today, took it to the garage and got it all set up.
Octane Tripwire, Spot Hogg Hunter Hogg-it Wrapped sight, 7" Octane Stabilizer, G5 Meta peep. Got the draw length set, cams timed perfectly, then took it out for a few shots.
I love these Destroyers, with only a few minor adjustments this thing is smashing nocks at 40 yards.
It is set at 72#, and 28.5" Draw Length. I shot some Axis 340's weighing in at 390gr's at 299fps.
Then I switched to some Axis 300 realtree (proper spine) weighing in at 446gr's , and it is smoking them out at 282 fps. That's 78 ft/lbs of KE.
The 70# setup is every bit as smooth to shoot as the 60#er.

Will try to post some pics of the pair of them soon.

·
Registered
7,235 Posts
That is smokin'. Those Destroyer bows are awesome. I plan on getting one this year.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Well after shooting my 60# Black Ops Destroyer for a month or so now, I bit the bullet and bought a second 70# Destroyer in Hardwoods Grey from Bowhuntern here on AT. :D
Received the bow today, took it to the garage and got it all set up.
Octane Tripwire, Spot Hogg Hunter Hogg-it Wrapped sight, 7" Octane Stabilizer, G5 Meta peep. Got the draw length set, cams timed perfectly, then took it out for a few shots.
I love these Destroyers, with only a few minor adjustments this thing is smashing nocks at 40 yards.
It is set at 72#, and 28.5" Draw Length. I shot some Axis 340's weighing in at 390gr's at 299fps.
Then I switched to some Axis 300 realtree (proper spine) weighing in at 446gr's , and it is smoking them out at 282 fps. That's 78 ft/lbs of KE.
The 70# setup is every bit as smooth to shoot as the 60#er.

Will try to post some pics of the pair of them soon.

Im confused... 28.5 draw and 390 grain arrow @72 pounds is only shooting 299?????? is this a 340?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Yes, they are both 340's
Sorry, thought I put that in the first post.

Do you think this is too low?
Well its hard to say.. My buddys 350 shoots a 393 grain arrow @72# 28.5 DL
319 320ish

My Ross CR334 at 71# 29.5 shoots 385gr @ 290fps

So my experience is only with his 350 I guess I would think it would easily be in the 300 plus range.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Slower than i expected at 29" draw. That sounds more like 27-27.5" numbers.
I don't know, I have TAP, and a radarchron. I can plug a bow/arrow conbination into TAP, and then go out and shoot. The actual speeds are alway, and I mean always within about 5 fps of what TAP says.
Some of the speeds I see posted on this site are way higher than what TAP says. I know, its only a computer program, but I have tried every bow I get my hands on and compare it and it is always close. I have shot through my Dad's chrono, while using the radarchron and they were very close to the same speed ratings, within 1-2 fps.
Makes me wonder how many people inflate their speeds when posting, or if there is just a bunch of bad chrono's out there??

My Destroyer 340's are set at 28.5" DL, which I believe is the # 6 position for the module. Tonight with my 72.5# bow I shot a group of Easton axis 400 (way under spined) cut at 28", 100 grain tip. TAP says they will be 301.5fps, the average speed with the radarchron was 304 fps.

I don't know, but I never seem to reach the speeds that most everyone else claims to be getting.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I don't think your way off. I think that draw length adjustments are way harder on some bow than others, which testing seems to back up. I also think that your chrono and possibly location have more to do with the numbers that get compared on sites like AT. The only way to be sure is heads up with the same equipment. Try a different chrono, you might get 330;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts