Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I suffer from chronic pain in my lower back due to and injury I got in Afghanistan and I'm trying to get back into archery. Currently shooting a PSE Dominator Pro at 50#. My bow is definitely on the heavy side but I was curious if I'm just not used to shooting or if my bow is actually too heavy and causing more pain.

I usually shoot my Samick Sage at 40# with no problems.

My ideal is to swap to Olympic recurve but money is an issue for me as I can only live off my disability pay.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have/ had the same issue along with shoulder pain from humping to much weight. I dropped down to 55 lbs bow for 2 years and can finally increase

·
Registered
588 Posts
I also have severe lower back pain (failed back surgery). I recently got back into archery. I shoot a smooth drawing bow @ 40#. It still hurts but at least I can shoot.

·
Registered
19,039 Posts
Might try dropping weight down to 40# & see if that helps & if not then it probably is the higher mass weight of the PSE over the Samick Sage. Trial & error on your part. Good Luck & Thank You for your Service!

·
Banned
943 Posts
Yes your bow may be a bit heavy too. I got rear ended at a stoplight and lifting anything caused pain in my lower back for a long time. I will be trying to shoot my MQ1 soon. Compared to lots of bows its really light. Lightest, best bow I've ever owned, but hope to be able to shoot it and get back into 3-Ds next year.

·
Registered
Isaiah 6:8
2,780 Posts
try this when shooting or at other times that cause back pain. Tighten your stomach up (think belly button to spine, don't hold your breath) and perform the painful movements. Be careful not to push your stomach out. One way to easily check is to lay down, put one hand on your chest and one hand on your stomach, the hand on the stomach should lower while the hand on the chest stays stationary.

Contracting the transverse abdominis should help take pressure off of the back while performing any movement. The muscle wraps all the way around from one side of the spine to the other and acts as a natural back brace.

See if this helps or not. And let me know, I would love to be able to help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts