Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Glad to see all the DIY Target Idea threads here, so wanted to give back by sharing a new one I had and made. Cut the top off a 55 gallon plastic drum, or cut in half...depending on how much stopping power you need... I'm shooting a 405 FPS Tac 15 with 26.25" arrows, so wanted to be certain. Stuff with old cotton clothing or sheets (if using denim jeans of course, remove all snaps and zippers first).
Or what I discovered and have found works excellent, and still allows easy 2 finger pulls like the cotton... Sheep's wool! I had some giant chaise lounge pillows that were stuffed with it, and also a few bags leftover from raising sheep years ago. Works great! And unlike the cotton that can get wet and mold easily, sheep's wool has a natural coating of lanolin built in, for keeping them warm and dry in the elements.
The plastic drum is easily rolled around on the range, and also virtually waterproof. I stacked several layers of cardboard in the front, from a big Lazyboy box, which are easy to remove, repack innards, and / or replace when worn out. Tape or staple paper targets to it easily.
I also stuff chicken feed and deer corn bags with it. Many deer corn bags are made with good targets already printed on em! 馃槉 Azure Blue Art Grass Font
Grass Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Font Electric blue Recreation Vertebrate Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Window

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like that's what the OP built it for. Should hold up very well for most archery. It stopped his 405 fps arrows well before the fletchings.
Yep definitely, sorry just saw this.

As hard as this thing hits, I had to rebuild all my targets I was using with a couple of older Barnetts I have. Had some stuffed with plastic bags and such, foam, flattened cardboard beer case boxes...all kinds of stuff. I have my range setup with em every 10 yds from 20-100.
With the Tac arrows, even being 26+" long, some were blasting through and ruining my vanes, and the ones that did stop them looked like the friction actually melted plastic and paint to my shafts, making them difficult to pull.
Now they usually stop 1/2 to 3/4 of the way in, until the bull gets a little opened up. Even then I've yet to put vanes through paper on front. Best part is easy two finger pulls every time. :)

Registered
Sheep's wool! Now that's a new thought, I'm going try that one. How did you pack it in the barrel? Just stuff it in or did you compress it somehow?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sheep's wool! Now that's a new thought, I'm going try that one. How did you pack it in the barrel? Just stuff it in or did you compress it somehow?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Just stuffed it in and pushed til I could get a lid on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts