Archery Talk Forum banner

Another "harness" thread

579 Views 10 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  swilk
Big man harness??

I recently leased some ground with 3 freinds. 2 of us have hunted together for the last several years and we both ALWAYS wear a HSS harness.

Just yesterday I upgraded my 5 year old harness to one of the new "pro series" versions. I am also the smallest guy of the group .... by far. I weigh about 50lbs less than the next guy.

Here is where it gets tricky ..... the next biggest guy from me weighs about 240lbs and is 6'3". no problem .... he has worn a HSS harness for a couple of years.

The next biggest guy is about 275lbs. Still shouldnt be a problem. HSS lists maximum weight as 300lbs and this guy intends to buy one asap.

The last guy is big. Really big. Really, really big. NFL lineman big. 350lbs+ big.

Who the hell makes a harness to fit a guy his size?

The standard "he shouldnt be hunting from a treestand" answer wont do me any good. He IS going to hunt from a treestand and there isnt much anyone could do to stop him. I think the 2xl/3xl vest HSS makes would FIT him even though he is heavier than what they recommend. Are there any other choices out there?
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
5,249 Posts
Check o the loggy bayou harness, also you might want to PM Daniel Boone, he is a pretty good sized feller and just bought a safety harness

· Registered
54 Posts
If the guy is 350+, what treestand is he using? The company that manufactures the stand surely manufactures a safety harness for the maximum weight of their product.

· Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am sure he is exceeding the maximum weight of the stands we are using .... we use ladder stands and lock on stands.

We do not use the hardware that comes with them ..... we always use 2 500lb ratchet straps per stand. Doesnt make him safe but it helps a bit.

I am just looking for products I can recommend he buy. Something big/strong/comfortable enough for him to actually use.

The biggest reason I faithfully use my harness is because it is comfortable and trouble free. They dont do any good if you wont wear them.

· Registered
1,730 Posts
I bought a HSS 3X and I weigh in a tad over 300lbs... but I recond it will support me if I need it too!!!!!!!!! I hope!!!!

They have to support more than the recomended weight I would think!! Surley they have a higher tollerance than the posted wieght limit just for liability purposes... Right???

· Registered
389 Posts
I bought a HSS 3X and I weigh in a tad over 300lbs... but I recond it will support me if I need it too!!!!!!!!! I hope!!!!

They have to support more than the recomended weight I would think!! Surley they have a higher tollerance than the posted wieght limit just for liability purposes... Right???
I sure hope so because I am in the same boat!

· Registered
1,730 Posts
I sure hope so because I am in the same boat!
I hope so too!!!! I guess its better to risk it holding me up than laying on the ground!!! Maybe it will atleast break my fall enough to get prepared for the sudden stop!! I dunno

Not to hijack your thread, but dose anyone know if they indeed will support more than they say??

· Registered
256 Posts
Big Harness

If you cant find anything in the hunting industry to fit your buddy , try the electric utility industry. I know they have some really big harnesses for linemen ,might not be "camo" but its better than getting hurt ! Hope this can help:wink:

· Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not to hijack your thread, but dose anyone know if they indeed will support more than they say??
Im sure they do. They have to.

A 150lb man falling 15' before the harness caught him would put way, way, way, way more force on the harness than a 350lb man falling from 2 feet.

Liability issues would force them to over-engineer any product that people are trusting their lives with.

I am just wondering if he would fit into a 2x/3x HSS harness. That is a lot of money to find out he cant squeeze into one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.