Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody ever measured the speed difference between medium priced limbs compared to high end limbs at lower draw weights ?

With lower draw weigts i mean less than 30 lbs .

Reason i ask , i have my doubts if the extremly expensive limbs will give a real advantage .

I did it once , last year , one pair of limbs which cost around 200 euro dollars , against a pair which cost me 500 euro dollars , with the same draw weight on the fingers , 34 lbs , same draw lenght , same arrow , the speed of the expensive limbs was only 4 fps faster in average than the cheap ones .

·
Truth is often ignored.
991 Posts
Yep. That's about right.
The most that I've ever seen in results by a guy testing bows that the same poundage was 4 fps between the cheapest and most expensive.

I reckon that some of the new paralever limbs may increase that slightly, but they weren't available when the testing was done.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I think that you will probably see (or feel) more of a difference in stability. Most low end limbs that I have tried have been prone to twisting, while very few high end limbs have that problem.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
4 fps is equivalent to more than 2# advantage... percentage wise on 30# is a lot. Then of course stability and consistency are the real parameters to take in account.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Yep. That's about right.
The most that I've ever seen in results by a guy testing bows that the same poundage was 4 fps between the cheapest and most expensive.

I reckon that some of the new paralever limbs may increase that slightly, but they weren't available when the testing was done.
There are bigger differences between makers that that.
For example, Alan Wills (UK Team GB Archer) is quoted to have dropped 3.5lbs in bow weight for the same performance level when moving to the Inno over his previous Hoyt setup.
i dont think the Paralever is 3.5lbs faster than the GMX, as the 3.5lbs at 2fps per lbs would equal a 7fps difference...
The quote is in the latest edition of Bow international P.56 edition 60.

·
Civil but Disobedient
7,112 Posts
I just changed from low cost 26 lb Hoyt Epic wood glass limbs to higher quality 26 lb Border Carbon limbs for my indoor barebow setup. I dropped a little over 2 lbs at my draw length but my sight points stayed about the same or lowered a bit, indicating that I am probably getting a little more speed. I did not upgrade for speed, however, I was looking for more torsional stability to help minimize the affects of bad releases. If I have time this weekend, I will chrono the new Border limbs to see how they compare.

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
4 fps is equivalent to more than 2# advantage... percentage wise on 30# is a lot. Then of course stability and consistency are the real parameters to take in account.

Absolutely right in everything .

But you know how it is , not only in the compound world , shooters are speed crazy , and lots of them were , are , and will be cheated by advertising which tells them that the new XY limb is so fast that you can shoot a FITA even with 26 lbs .... and so on ....

@ Vittorio , please say Hello to Sandrine from Valentin , from Villefranche sur Saone in France , met here the last time when she practiced here with Cedric a few times during the last months .

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Well, when someone independent tests a few, I'll be more inclined to believe it.
The french bow test prooved so... FULLY independent as the person that did the test was a distributor that sold ALL makes involved.

205 for the winact
206 for the focus
207 for our Carbons
210 for the FX
212 for our talisman gold

That was 2002... i dont see anything different now...

·
Registered
270 Posts
nothing new

we recently tested the new Hoyt F3 limbs against a pair of Earl Hoyt Sky Conquest limbs. just to be sure you understand, these Conquest limbs are from Sky when Earl was on top of everything.

and surprisingly both bows produced 190 fps. over and over and over. the Conquest limbs are simply split limb maple core / carbon / glass with precise radiuses built in to maximize cast.

with all the new technology and hype around the F3 / F4, the best they can do is match what Earl did some 20 years ago.

suffice it to say that Earl Hoyt was an engineering genius and years ahead of his time. thank you Earl.

cheers,
Paul

·
Truth is often ignored.
991 Posts
The french bow test prooved so... FULLY independent as the person that did the test was a distributor that sold ALL makes involved.

205 for the winact
206 for the focus
207 for our Carbons
210 for the FX
212 for our talisman gold

That was 2002... i dont see anything different now...
Were they 30 lb limbs?

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
they were 38lbs at 28" but the issue is, if there is 7fps in the top end stuff, then there must be more than 4fps between the top and bottom end stuff.

·
Truth is often ignored.
991 Posts
Well, there's no guarantee unless someone actually bothers to run them through a chronograph with the same arrow and same type and weight string.

·
Registered
270 Posts
materials or manufacturing process

so what's the difference?
is it in the materials or is it in the manufacturing process?

i mean is the addition of carbon....foam...ceramic...
making the speed difference

or

is it in the way the limb is designed by use of specific radius' in the bottom / middle / top of the limbs?

our test concluded that the new "secret" materials don't yield any distinct advantage over the design and "old school" materials that Earl Hoyt was using years and years ago.

my friend makes hunting recurves, http://www.bpbows.com
and we have tested so much were tired of it.
he uses simple glass / wood for some limbs and glass / wood / carbon for others.
the addition of carbon does seem to stiffen up the limb and give it some torsional stability, but does not yield any advantage in speed in the recurves.

in the long bows however, the addition of carbon is huge in gain in speed and snap of the bow. its amazing.

the recurve limbs he makes have very near the same radius' of Earl Hoyts limbs from years back. and he get very near the same speed. other bowyers i know have different radius' in their recurve limbs yet use nearly identical materials and there speed and performance is all over the map and not equivalent to Earls design.

so again, my question is it in the materials or the design / mfg process that makes the difference?

just look at the lower quality limbs were talking about on this thread. materials differ but the same limb jigs are being used. my contention is that there are prefered materials that perform a little better than others, yet the radius' of the design and the process of manufacturing is critical for maximum performance, much more so than the materials used.

Paul

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Well, there's no guarantee unless someone actually bothers to run them through a chronograph with the same arrow and same type and weight string.
That's what was done in this well published and respected article on the paper that tested it.

·
Truth is often ignored.
991 Posts
What, these limbs with draw weights of lower than 30lbs?

Where is this article?

·
Registered
270 Posts
materials or mfg'

Borderbows:
is the difference in the materials or in the manufacturing process?

Vittorio:
same question;
is the difference in the materials or in the manufacturing process?

i've been really curious about this for a very very very long time and both you guys have a good working knowledge of this.

your thoughts please.
cheers,
Paul

1 - 20 of 23 Posts