Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing BlkIce's "After The Hunt Meat Smoker Build" I built the first of two 120gal LP tank smokers.

Here are a few pictures of the unfinished and then finished smoker and some of the goodies that came out of it.

Thanks to BlkIce for the inspiration to get me going.

Rod

·
Shaaaaazam!!
7,703 Posts
The finished pic is flawless ..Well done sir.

·
sometimes reality hurts
3,480 Posts
I could not agree more, the finished picture looks almost commercial in finish quality. congratulations.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Wow that looks great and so does the smoker! I have been wanting to make a smoker for a couple years, hoping for the time! Why did you place the stack on the same side as the wood pit? What is the heat source?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow that looks great and so does the smoker! I have been wanting to make a smoker for a couple years, hoping for the time! Why did you place the stack on the same side as the wood pit? What is the heat source?
This is a reverse flow (rf) smoker. A rf smoker is designed to have more consistant temps end to end. The off set fire box is positioned to allow smoke to travel under the reverse flow plates and then travel back across the food to the chimney. See my diagram.

The heat source is wood, any fruit or nut wood properly seasoned.

Rod

·
Registered
89 Posts
Rod

What did it cost to put this together. I am interested in building one since my smoker took a crap. Any schematics you would be willing to share?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rod

What did it cost to put this together. I am interested in building one since my smoker took a crap. Any schematics you would be willing to share?
WarEagle,

I have about $1,200 in materials for two smokers with one finished and one to do. This may seem high but you cannot purchase anything close for much less than $2,000. As for schematics... I built it out of my head, but the most important item would be a pit calculator that helps with ensuring all of the components are properly sized (i.e. the fire box is about 1/3 of the cooker and the intake and exhaust are proper).

PM me and I can get you pointed in the right direction.

Rod

·
Registered
10,738 Posts
Yes must look up the calculators....will save alot of headaches.

I love the grate going around it for shelf.....looks real good.

Although I like my ribs dry :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts