Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Banned
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a question for you. My state used to have a Jr. BHFS class for those kids shooting pins and a short stabilizer. I think the age was 12-17 but not sure. They voted last year to follow NFAA classes in which there is no Jr. BHFS class. Does this mean pin shooting kids MUST compete in YFS or YAFS even though they do not like scopes and long stabs and would be using their pin setups or can they just sign up for BHFS and compete against adults?

This leads me to my next question, could some of these "wonderkids" (17 and under) that are 60x shooters and yes there are a few, sign up in the championship classes for those shoots that are open to Joe's as well as Pro's and possibly take home some money?

I thought I read once that if a high school kid competed as a Pro in any sport they were ineligible to compete in ANY high school sport but I may just be imagining it.

· Registered
2,359 Posts
Age Divisions
Cub = Under 12
Youth = 12 to 14
Young Adult = 15 to 17
Adult = 18 and older
Senior = 55 and older
Master Senior = 65 and older

http://nfaaarchery.org/field/styles.cfm

this is from the nfaa web site. i don't know if this is current info,but this is what's currently listed.

as for money divisions... i would think that state law-rules would limit and or prohibit minor from being eligible.... ( i really don't know, i'm just throwing this out here... )

as for high scool eligibility,.... thats an interesting question...

· Registered
1,995 Posts
rules

we have this problem in wv. if the kid wants to shoot with the adults they must fill out a consent form signed by parent or gardian and once you do that regardless of age you stay in the adult class. the NFAA does not have all the classes for the kids that they have for adults so yes they have to shoot with the fs class scopes , long stab. exc!!!

· Registered
1,884 Posts
Once they move up a class in an NFAA or NAA sanctioned competition, they can't go back. I know it sucks if your kid wants to be a pin shooter, but there are already far too many classes in the NFAA, IMO. Besides all that, let him kick some but with nhis pins and show he doesn't need all that handicapped equipment!

I know a young adult from NY that has competed in the AMFS division at VEGAS. It isn't the Championship class, but the winners are awarded $.

I read some time ago the story of Butch Johnson and how when he was shooting compound FS way back and won some $, it caused all kinds of problems for him with FITA or NAA or Olympics or something. Now with Pro athletes competeing, I don't know what the rules are, but it was an issue at one time for Butch.

· Registered
563 Posts
I started competing at age 5 in 1951, and moved into adult at age 15. And, yes even back then you needed parent consent and once you moved up you could not go back. Thanks, Bob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.