Archery Talk Forum banner

Another PVC Paper Tuner

4523 Views 32 Replies 26 Participants Last post by  jrdrees
Took less than an hour to cut and glue. The top paper holder is the only thing that didn't get glued. Less than 25.00 for everything at Home Depot. Aluminum strips hold the paper tight and the lower one provides a really nice tear when it's time to discard old sheet. All I need to do now is paint it.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
That is an awesome looking tuner, really well built. What size pipe did you use? And k'em-n-g'em you can get that paper in Home Depot, in either the paint department or the flooring department.

· Hoyt Nation Life Member
15,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Frame and all is 1 inch. The piece for the paper is 1/2 inch. Just look for the 1 " to 1/2 " reducer.

· Registered
5,643 Posts
I was thinking of making a paper tuner that hold sheets of news paper. Does anyone know if newspaper will work as well as this kraft paper?
I use news paper when I paper tune and it works good.

Hoythunter,nice work!

· Registered
187 Posts
How tall is it to the center of the shooting paper? How big is the shooting square where the paper is located? And 1 more how big is the base on this masterpiece. I am going to build one this weekend. Thanks Brent

· Registered
19 Posts
Hey Hoythunter, if it's not too big of a hassle, what are the basic dimensions on that? Looks like a fine little project for me after the winter is done.

· Hoyt Nation Life Member
15,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK...Buy the 2' sections of 1" PVC. You'll need (11) pieces of 2',1" diameter, pipe.(1) piece of 2'x1/2" pipe,(6) 1" T's. (4) 1" Elbows, (2) 1" Straight Unions.(to extend the legs) (2) 1" to 1/2" adapters.(to hold the paper). To make the base, push it together using the 4 elbows. (SIMPLE)....cut 2 inches out of the middle of the sides of the base and install the T's. SAVE the 2 inch pieces, cause thats what your gonna use to adapt the reducer piece for the paper. You should have the "base" built with the T's installed and 2 extra 2" pieces set off to the side. Take (1) 2' section of pipe and cut it in half. Glue into T's on the base. Use the unions to attach (2) more pieces of 2' tubing, a little glue, and you have the legs built. This is too much typing.....use the pictures to build the rest. When your shopping for PVC, drop down a couple rows and pick up a 4' section of 1/2" x 1/8" strip aluminum to hold the paper. Drill the aluminum and drill the pipe and attach it to the cross sections of pipe. I have an idea how to keep tension on the aluminum rather than just screw it down but that comes later. Good Luck !!!

· Registered
407 Posts
I made one like this although I like yours better. To keep the paper tight even in a stiff breeze I used the squeezeable hand clamps (like for wood working or craft projects). Clamp them to the paper roll from the top and let them hang over the back side. Their weight keeps the paper tight. Works great!

· Registered
9,276 Posts
I'm a tight ass or thrifty when it comes to buying stuff like a roll of paper.

Couldn't I just put up a sheet of newspaper and clamp it to the frame?

Or do you need a paper that's all the same color, so I can tell easier how the rip lays?

what do you think.

Great idea with the pvc frame.

· Registered
407 Posts
The roll just makes it more convenient. Look in the painting supplies at Walmart for the cheap paper.

· Registered
3,319 Posts
:smile: That is a lot more detailed than the one I built... which took me under 5 minutes to build and less than $10. Good job, maybe I better put some more time into mine.:smile:

· Registered
3,319 Posts
I'm a tight ass or thrifty when it comes to buying stuff like a roll of paper.

Couldn't I just put up a sheet of newspaper and clamp it to the frame?

Or do you need a paper that's all the same color, so I can tell easier how the rip lays?

what do you think.

Great idea with the pvc frame.
Why don't you go to the local newspaper printing company and see if they have any partial rolls that are leftover after a pringing job - I buy mine for $2 each and have yet to use a partial roll (I have enough to last a lifetime I think - 12 partial rolls!)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.