Archery Talk Forum banner

Another Saw Blade Knife First Timer

1657 Views 14 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  s4 shooter
Like others, after seeing the pics and tutorials on the saw blade knives, I decided to give it a try. Thanks to all those that have posted some great advice and links to other sources of info.

I figured since I had been thinking about buying a skinning knife for deer anyway, that is what I was going to try to make.

All in all the process was fun, a test of patience, cool, frustrating, and messy all at the same time. BUT in the end very rewarding. I definitely learned alot and can appreciate the work of those who are good at it.

I am pleased with the way it turned out and hopefully will get alot of use out of it.

The blade is from a carbide tipped saw blade so I had to heat treat, temper, anneal the blade. You should have seen the look on my wifes face when she caught me dunking the knife into our deep fryer:mg: The scales are rosewood and the pins are a combination of copper, bronze and aluminum.

I took some pictures as I made progress on the knife

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For the most part I used a dremel tool with the reinforced cutoff wheel to cut the knife out of the saw blade. I did use a 4" angle grinder with a cutoff wheel at one point to make a couple of cuts to speed up the process.

Thanks for the compliments!!!!

· Registered
62 Posts
Been looking for some answers on how to use a carbide tipped blade. Just what is the process that you used to heat treat, temper, anneal the blade.

Just wanted to make sure I'm not biting off more than I can chew before I start. I haven't done any metal working since high school and thats been a while ago.

Thanks

· Registered
346 Posts
question

i have a question for you how did you get your knife edge to be so evenly ground down? your input would be greatly apreciated thanks, paul

· Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bn2hunt- from what I understand the problem with carbide tipped blades is that the steel is not factory hardened because of how hard the carbide is. If you use a carbide blade, you have to heat treat.

The process I used was a combination of the "how to" given in rancid crabtree's post in the general section and information I gathered from other online sources.

For heat treating - I heated the blade with a torch using mapp gas instead of propane because it is hotter, until the blade was red hot and a magnet would no longer stick, continued heating trying to keep the same level of "red glow" for a few more minutes and then "quenched" it in warm (125 degree) vegetable oil. Quenching is simply dunking it in the oil. There is a reason it should be warm. I used our deep fryer and a meat thermometer.

For tempering I preheated our oven to 450 degrees baked the blade for an hour and then shut down the heat and let it cool slowly (overnight).

I tempered the handle to alllow the holes to be drilled by heating with the tourch and letting air cool.

Hope the info helps....

· Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mathewsman09-

I used my 6 inch bench grinder to bevel the blade. I tried to set the little shelf in front of the grinding wheel so that the grind on the blade would be about 30 degrees (rough guess) and drew the blade across the wheel. Getting it even takes some patience. Sorry I don't have better or easier advice for ya.

· Registered
346 Posts
thanks

thanks thats what i have been doing geuss it just takes practice and ive been using a belt grind might have to try out the the wheel grinder. thanks again, paul.

· Registered
7,438 Posts
Looks Good:thumbs_up

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.