Archery Talk Forum banner

Another spine question gold tip

7323 Views 5 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  TRLR8TDTJ
I currently shoot a Drenalin with 70lb limbs maxed out with 28dl. My arrows are 28" long also. I took my bow to shop to have them attach the rest cord and serve it in. I also had them paper tune it. I bought then bought some Gold tip Expidition arrows. When I looked on the box it tells me to shoot a 5575 (400)arrow. When I look on Gold tip website it tells me I need a group 5 arrow which is a 7595 (340) arrow. I dont know if the chart is wrong on the box or what. When I look on Easton, and Carbon express it tells me I need a .340 spine. I dont know if gold tip arrows are built different or if the chart is just wrong on the box. I shot through paper to see how it shoots, and I had a left tear. I put on 85 grain tip and still a tear. I then backed off limbs about 4 turns, and 75 grain tip to get bullet hole tear. Do you think if the shop tuned my bow with .340 spine arrow, and I am shooting .400 it that the reason for tear, or is my spine just too weak for bow. I dont know if I should adjust rest to get bullet hole, or get more rigid spine arrows. I bought bow used so I dont know if it specifies in manual what spine to shoot. It just seems weird that gold tip numbers just dont jive. If I do need stiffer spine I will be pretty upset since my arrows are new, and I just went off chart on the box. I am pretty new to archery so I dont know if I am just reading too much, or if I have a problem. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks
Kyle
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2,002 Posts
7595's are the arrows you need for that setup. I know how you feel right now...I made the same mistake starting out with Goldtip. I shot 5575's for quite a while before getting into the 7595's......the 7595's flew a lot better!! I turned my bow down to 62lbs and the 5575"s flew great...so there is that option if you don't want to buy new arrows. Also.....whatever the charts say you should shoot.....plan on going one step stiffer...I have found that with Easton anyways......jmo
Good luck!

· Registered
10,642 Posts
Well if you have a 28" draw, depending on what arrow rest you use, you should probably be able to shoot a 26-27" arrow rather than the 28" 5575 you currently shoot. That would stiffen your spine a bit, and just might do the trick. I shot 26" 5575s out of my 28" Drenny and they tuned fine with 100 grain tips and 3 blazer vanes. That being said, every setup seems to be a bit different, and 7595s might work better for you. But I might try a 26" shaft if it will work with your rest and see what that does.

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont think I can cut arrows short enough to get them on the chart. I also never planned on shooting anything but field tips on these arrows so I glued tips in. Dont you think it is messed up that Gold tip chart on box and their website are different. That is what mis lead me to buy the wrong arrows. I think they should replace my arrows for the ones I need since their chart is wrong on the box. I will give them a call Monday and see what they have to say about the charts being different. I am sure I am not the first person that purchased their arrows going off the chart on box, and got the wrong spine. I might just have to go with different brand.

· Registered
55,454 Posts
LOL they are not going to replace your arrows. Like everyone said the 75/95 is the better choice.:) I haven't seen their charts messed up yet-----misread/not understood maybe.

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I highly doubt they will do anything. Maybe just explain the different charts. I might just cut inch or so off and shoot lighter tip and reduce weight like suggested. I bought them cause they were cheap arrows and I wont be upset if I break them. I think I will buy some different arrows for shooting heavier draw weight and hunting.

This is the chart on box if I remember right I dont have box to take a picture of.

This is the chart on their website.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.