Archery Talk Forum banner

another target and bow rack

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Ders26c 
#1 ·
So, I threw together a target the other night with a buddy of mine. It is 3/8" plywood put together to make a 2x2x12" box. We constructed 3 sides first, and doubled over some burlap and covered the front and back VERYYYYY tight, and screwed it down. Then, we stuffed if full of old rags (man, this thing holds a ton of rags) and popped the top down. Here yous ee the finished product.

Now, I"m thinking about calling and ordering some Spyvlar, enough to cover the front area 2-3 times. I plan on placing it off the target face in 2-3" increments. This could make the target another 6-9" deeper, but it will keep the arrow straight. I'm not sure if I want to do this, because it doesn't matter for what I use it for.

I think someone could homebrew a spylar target very easily after building this one. Arrows penetrate about 5-6" and pull out ridiculously easy. I'm stupid for buying targets all these years. This thing seems like it will last a LONG LONG LONG time. Sure beats the crap out of the cardboard target we built (cardboard was heavier, messier, harder to build, and harder to get the arrows out of, but worked well). If arrows start going through the target, all we gotta do is unscrew the top, shuffle the rags, or just add new.

I used new clean shop rags, you can use old clothes, but make sure all zippers, and buttons are cut out (and blue jean seams too).

As for the bow rack, I cheated. It's a gun rack, we just put our bows in it (but man, they fit like a glove, lol).

thanks for looking!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
oops deer made it onto the post, lol. well, it just came back from the taxidermist, just a little eye candy. not bad for an indiana buck

#6 ·
I could do this, but I really won't be restuffing all that often, only probably once a year, these things REALLY hold up.

I may do that when I have it apart next time.

I really must confess about the buck. I didn't state it anywhere, but it's not mine. It's my uncles, who shot it the same woods I was hunting (about 200 yards from my stand or so). I had already shot one, and it's at the taxidermist still. I'll post pics when it gets back (here is a live shot of it).

he's just a little fella, but i'm still proud of him. my uncles on the other hand, what a hog! we've pulled five deer out of that woods in the last 2 years to get mounted (my uncle - 1, me - 1, my boss at work who is also my uncles boss - 1, my uncles son - 1, and a friend of the family - 1).

:thumbs_up thanks for the compliments

#7 ·
oops, I called that a live shot, but he's dead, but i think you guys know what i mean, lol

#10 ·
We considered that when we were building it, but decided against it for a couple of reasons.

1) The cardboard is hard on the labels on the arrows and such, it will smudge them, and can be hard on wraps/vanes (our cardboard target is bad on these things at least, one thick piece might not be so bad).

2) It wouldn't take long to wear out the one piece of cardboard, so if we had it under the burlap, it would be a PITA to replace. We might put one on the outside yet.

If my concern for the arrows kicking once it enters (which it will do on occasion, making it hard to score 5 spot at time) I will buy some spyvlar (or more burlap) and make a face for the front of it to fix this.

To get the rags to hold tighter (which they hold pretty freaking tight right now), we considered using ratchet straps (just the straps, cutting off the hooks and stuff) and placing them every 4-6 inches, pulling tight, and screwing down. I don't think we'll do this, because it works well enough.

Something to think about for future targets at least. Now I just need to find a place to buy bulk stuff to make more targets.

thanks for the input

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.