Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a sr-71 at 29/70 i just set a limbdriver pro-v on it and noticed i had quite a bit of cam lean on the top cam at rest.. so i served the floating Y together and proceeded to put 3 twists in the right side of the Y which brought the cam pretty close to straight with the string. but when i tune it i have to move the rest quite a ways into the riser.. this isnt new as i have always had to have the rest very close to the riser but with the cams looking as good as i can get them and everything else looking good, how come i tune so far to the inside?there is no fletching contact for sure.when i line the string with the cams and down the center of the bow, with the arrow on the rest, the tip of the arrow points way off to the right? it gets a bullet hole and i walk back tuned and it seemed to be on..i am shooting a maxima hunter 350 cut to 28 inches,, and i also tried a 300 spine arrow and a 400 spine arrow. the 400 spine paper tuned way worse and the 300 spine is about the same as the 350.. any suggestions?Thanks

·
Banned
4,646 Posts
I've never owned a strothers but have owned a Destroyer (dual slaved hybrid cams with split yokes on both cams) an X-Force and a Hoyt Katera (both Cam & 1/2).

Looking at a pic of an SR-71 it doesn't look like the yoke is floating (like on a Hoyt). It looks like an unserved split yoke which is not the same as floating yokes.

I always like to serve my yokes, and thereby have more control of Cam lean. I bought one of the earliest Destroyers, and they weren't serving the yokes at first, until a bunch of us got on AT, and were all serving the yokes, and inducing cam lean (in both top and bottom cams) in order to get the rest to center shot of the shelf. Then BowTech started serving them at the factory after we complained.

It may be that when you served the yoke, that in itself affected some of your cam lean. But usually, when you add 3 twists to the right side, you should have instead added 1.5 twists, and then untwisted the left 1.5 twists, to achieve the same result, but not affect the cam timing, or ATA of the bow.

HOWEVER, IMO, I would go ahead and re-induce the cam lean back the way it was.

Why? Because I believe that the string and rest, alignment of the arrow, when these are all in line with the vector direction the cams move in...when those are all aligned, you achieve the maximum efficiency of the bow. I have often induced a little cam lean to do this.

Consider this...you have a split limbed bow, and who is to say that each 1/2 of those split limbs has exactly the same force. When they made that bow at the factory, they probably did some testing on this, and the split limbs probably had to meet some spec, but there is absolutely no way it could be perfectly balanced every time on every bow. So lets say, 1/2 is a little stronger than the other 1/2. What do you think the affect of that would be, and how would you correct for it?

IMO the ONLY way to correct for it is in the Cam lean. That's why I say you should probably put it back the way it was and feel confident you have a great bow there.

I had a similar problem with my 07 X-force which I had bought used on Ebay, and the cam lean was so bad, I was afraid the string would come out of the Cam groove whenever I drew the bow back. My rest had to be moved way to the left to get it to tune right. When you shot the bow, there was a very inconsistent right/left play in the arrow flight. It was a real dilemna. I even tried swapping left & right split limbs, but nothing would work or fix it. I thought I had bought a real lemon, and started bad mouthing PSE all over AT. Finally after getting some opinions, I finally I ordered new limbs for $80, and it corrected the problem. Now that X-Force is a great bow, and I am happy with it. :)

Hope that helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts