Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since a lot of you hunt with 3rd axis adjustable sights, I thought I'd post this over here too...

This may not work for every bow, but it sure worked like a charm with my Hoyt UltraTec. Basically, the only thing you need is a 2' Level and two heavy duty zip ties.

All you have to do is lay your bow on its side and rest level across your limb pockets. Use zip ties to secure level to side of pockets... Make sure the level's horizontal glass is toward the top of the bow.

Then, hold bow as you normally would. Set second axis so that sight's bubble is in the middle when level's bubble is in the middle.

Then draw your bow and plumb it back up. Notice where sight bubble is when level's bubble is dead center while you're at full draw. Let bow down, and make an adjustment, then re-draw and check your bubbles again. Keep doing this until both bubbles always stay in the middle regardless of how far up or down you have your bow pointed.

I have just successfully leveled and plumbed my new Sword with zero issues in a matter of only about 5 minutes. If you're worried about how bow riser torque may affect the level, I tested this against the standard "weighted string" technique with identical results. Plus, since the level is attached to the bow, you don't have the same issues trying to match the riser to the string when pointing up or down like I found when using the prior technique.

Hope this helps!!

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Great post...although I'm not sure I understand what it is you are trying to accomplish...!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Mike!

GREAT POST and Info! Thanks for sharing and taking the time!

Dave

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
What????? I'm with Bowhunter, I'm not really sure what your doing???

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
SEOBowhntr said:
I think there are a lot of misconceptions about what "3rd axis" tuning is really trying to accomplish. All the jigs, levels, weighted strings, etc in the world won't really get it any closer than "ballpark". Once a bow has been properly tuned and sighted in on level ground, you can adjust the 3rd axis to perfection by shooting for windage on a downhill or uphill slope. Thats why I ALWAYS shoot from a treestand prior to opening day!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
SEOBowhntr said:
I am not sure either BUT, I bet you you could dip that thing in camo and stick some limbsavers on it and sell the heck out of them!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
548 Posts
I use a similar technique except I do not attach the level to the bow. I place it against a wall and insure it is level and then set my second axis. I then place it at the bottom of my steps and set my third axis. Good information thanks!!!

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SEOBowhntr said:
I am using the level attached to the bow to set my bubble level on my sight perfectly. Bow riser torque changes the dynamics of the relationship of the bubble level to the bow when at full draw. So, in order to accurately set your bubble level on your bow sight, you need some way to ensure your bow is plumb when at full draw. That's what I'm doing.

For a more complete discussion on 3rd axis leveling, check out the Tuning Forum. There's a sticky at the top that does a great job describing what is does and also why it's important.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
deerman4567 said:
I am not sure either BUT, I bet you you could dip that thing in camo and stick some limbsavers on it and sell the heck out of them!!!!!!!!
Probably true, but the zip-tied level is only a temporary tuning aid...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts