Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K. here is the scenario.You have a local two day shoot.In no means is this a sanctioned IBO or ASA type of tournement.The first day is just a fun shoot and the second day is for trophies.So you shoot the first day and record the yardages then compete the second day for trophies and happen to win :mg: . Would you agree with this as cheating or fair play? Because you know somebody is going to do it. Oh ya take into consideration only a few of the stakes have been moved after the first day.

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
Cheat-Sheet

I normally call this bird-dogging and feel its unsportsmanlike. It isn't really the shooters fault that he wants to shoot both days, but I don't think he/she should be writing down yardages. This gives him/her an unfair advantage. The club should really take a little time and move the stakes a couple of yards or to the side or something.

They don't call it a Cheat-Sheet for nothing.

·
Registered
673 Posts
The shoots up here (British Columbia) are generally the total for two days of shooting....80 targets. Stakes will often be moved some after the first day, but its usually not a whole lot. Our governing bodies say that this type of thing is NOT ilegal...yet they frown on it as being unethical?? My question is this, if the governing body believes it to be unethical....why wouldn't they just make it illegal?

Chris

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
well... technically if everyone has that same advantage and it's advertised as a two day event, first one fun, second one trophy... then it's fair.. because everyone had the "chance" to see the range....

it would be best if ALL of the stakes were moved and perhaps animal positions (same lanes if necessary but different locations within the range).

You can not really advertise it as an unknown yardage course if people have an opportunity to learn the yardages prior to entering the game. it's more a matter of how is it advertised.

if it's non-sanctioned by any governing archery organization (ASA, IBO etc etc) then you can really make up the rules however you feel....

ethics is a big part... would people find it ethical? probably not, unless all yardages are changed for the second day... it would be wiser to have the trophy day the first day, and the fun the second day- perhaps add some door prizes or something to entice people to come back for the fun day...

the archers that write the yardages down would be doing the unethical thing... you would just be providing them the ample opportunity to do so.

I have a friend who says "door locks are for keeping honest people honest" a dishonest person would break in anyways.... same thing here... open your door and you may entice normally honest people to do things they wouldn't normally do... but the dishonest ones are going to do it no matter what you do to defer them....

·
Registered
701 Posts
if that is the way they are going to run the shoot ,,you can expect it,,

·
Electified Archer
3,275 Posts
Welcome back MissTy. Some of the hardest courses I have shot have been the ones that I personally set-up. Even though I did all the work I just can't remember the jardages. Now if I wrote them down then I might question the ethics. In Pa this year I shot the same course in the morning that my daughter had to shoot in the afternoon. I could have wrote all the yardages down but that just wouldn't of been fair. Not fair to her or the other shooters. I guess it comes down to what you feal is right in your heart. If you can live with yourself and see nothing wrong with this then go ahead by all meens.

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Elf,

I agree, around our parts, helping set up pretty gaurantees a bad score!!!!

2 day shoot in that format, yeah, it will happen. Trick is as the host club to move the stakes just enough to look the same but far enough to make a difference. Or leave the stakes and move a few targets. Our target stands make out targets very easy to move.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts