Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Liv4Rut
7,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I am going antelope hunting this fall and plan on spot and stalk plus sitting out of the double bull. I went three years ago and ended up shooting one on a spot and stalk and only hunted out of the blind once.

My question is do you need to have the shoot through mesh up or do you not need it? I have heard different opinions but thought maybe there was somebody that actually hunted them that would have an opinion.

If you do need the mesh up, what type of expandable broadhead would you recommend to shoot through it. I have heard hammerheads and jakhammers shoot through the mesh well. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!! :thumbs_up

·
One Shot
9,128 Posts
I've shot 5 out of a blind with no mesh, but I prefer to take my T5 instead of my matrix for antelope hunting. The windows are a lot smaller. Also shot one without the blind, and no mesh there either :shade:

·
Registered
815 Posts
I also use a T5 with no mesh. I have never had a problem with them seeing me. I use grim reaper expandables. Long days, so bring plenty of things to keep you busy and someone to talk to doesn't hurt either. :shade:

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
The only mechanical I have successfully used for shoot through mesh is the meat seeker. The broadhead was designed to take more pressure than is generated by the mesh to activate the piston mechanism. The head flies great, stays true through the mesh and delivers a great lethal punch to critters.

I'm sure there are others that fellow members can recommend.

Good luck,
Chris

·
Registered
815 Posts
My clients have taken literally hundreds of antelope and I never have mesh on the window. Wear dark clothing and move slowly. Best of luck.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I've shot one with mess (at about 2 yards) and one without. Plenty of others shot at out to 37 yards without mesh. I recommend no mesh.

Oh yes, Wasp Jakhammers through mesh. Most of my experience with mesh and Jakhammers is with turkeys, but I believe PHs to be thin-skinned enough that the Jakhammer should do it in quickly.

best of luck to you, dv

·
Registered
560 Posts
I don't mind mesh at all and love how well you can move around and film through it, etc. It even seems like it holds scent in better than a totally open window, but that's probably mostly in my head. If I find the right hole this year, I am going to go without mesh, but most of the time in my limited experience I have had to watch a long or wide waterhole- and on places where you can't put the blind up ahead of time. Plus I like to be REALLY comfortable. Mesh has allowed me to recline in a zero gravity chair and watch a large section and be able to shoot a large section. If you have a small waterhole or an "X" on a big waterhole, it might be nice to have a small window with no mesh! Can't wait to see some pics- hope you kill a big one!
DS

·
Registered
18,308 Posts
Just keep the back of the blind closed so you dont silhouette yourself. Wear black or dark clothing inside so you disappear in the back ground. Face cover and gloves included. Antelope, and mule deer dont spook from black holes like whitetails from my expereince.

·
Registered
172 Posts
From my experience, antelope are not bothered by the "black hole". Just be sure to keep the windows behind you closed. Also sit back as far as you can, and wear black shirt, hat, and face mask. Also wear black gloves.

Bring lots of water, and something to occupy your mind for a long sit. I usually bring a magazine and my I pod.

Good luck on your hunt!!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Just keep the back of the blind closed so you dont silhouette yourself. Wear black or dark clothing inside so you disappear in the back ground. Face cover and gloves included. Antelope, and mule deer dont spook from black holes like whitetails from my expereince.

What he said. I shot my 71" lope w/o mesh.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts