Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All. I have an antelope/mule deer hunt in NW SD starting the last week of Sept-first week of Oct. From what I understand this may be a little past peak rut. What kind of activity can I expect from those speed goats at this time? Are they hard back on the water to replenish or are they still rut crazy?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Has anyone hunted antelope this time of year? in this region? Is it hard to peel them away from the does at this time?

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
They should still be rutting a little bit. I wouldn't worry too much about it. With lopers they are always ready to check out a decoy or a flag:wink:

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
They should still be rutting a little bit. I wouldn't worry too much about it. With lopers they are always ready to check out a decoy or a flag:wink:

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
I going there

I'm going there starting Sept 12 for 10 days Antelope hunting PM me when I get back and I will tell you how the rut is going

·
Prairie Ghost
1,944 Posts
I really wouldn't waste your time sitting on water out here this year. It's been a little wet and there's water everwhere. With all the water and in return tall grass, it'll be a good year to practice the spot-n-stalk. And yes the rut will still be going then. Use multiple tactics and see what happens.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. Good luck mtp1961. Bummer with the waterhole situation. I was hoping this wasn't the case. I was kinda looking forward to sitting in a hot blind in my boxers. At least the grass will be taller though. Thanks for the info. :)

·
Registered
18,317 Posts
Mid Sept is the peak of the rut and is the best time to decoy, or fool a good buck antelope in western North Dakota. Later in the month my strategy would change to focus on hunting waterholes. If the weather is hot and the area is dry look for sign at waterholes, be prepared for long sits, and be patient. They need to drink!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts