Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't believe what I read in my local newspaper Sunday! Hopefully this turns out in favor of the bowhunters.:mad: It is obvious some people have no clue about some things when they make statements like some of the bolded ones below:confused:

http://www.thesnaponline.com/local/local_story_084142431.html

Residents debate hunting issue

By Sarah Jane Rosser, Staff Writer

Sunday, March 23, 2008 — No decision was made by Norwood Town Council members Thursday evening on deer hunting in the town limits.

Four people attended the special meeting to voice their opinion on bow and arrow hunting within the town limits. Council members said they have received complaints regarding the large deer population in the town limits and are looking for ways to control it.

Residents John Morgan and Don Bowers spoke for the ordinance in order to keep deer population down and to provide a recreational activity.

Morgan said he didn’t have a lot of time to go out to hunt outside of the town limits. With the ordinance in place, Morgan said he can enjoy hunting in his spare time in his own back yard.

Bowers said even though he lives outside the town limits, it’s one way of controlling deer population.

Walter and Marianne Davis expressed their concern regarding stray arrows and the danger it puts children in.

“If population needs to be controlled, there’s other ways to do it,” Walter Davis said.

The Davises said they were concerned about stray arrows harming their grandchildren when they are playing in the yard.

Town administrator Dwight Smith said those who are hunting must have the permission of property owners before hunting on their land, however, Marianne Davis said it’s very simple for an arrow to land in yards that are in the vicinity of where the hunting takes place.

Councilman Alphonzo Rush said he understands both sides since he has a problem with the deer. Rush also said he does not like the killing of animals either.

“I don’t think we have avid archers in the town limits,” Rush said.

“If there are, I’m sure they would exercise safety.”

In response, Walter Davis said anyone who thinks that everyone is prepared to hunt in the city limits is naive.

Mayor Pro-Tem James Lilly made a motion for the discussion to continue at the next regular meeting on April 7 in order to receive more information before making a decision.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
I don't understand some people. Kind of reminds me of something that happened to me and a friend a couple months back in town.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Anti's

Adam,

It didn't seem that bad to me. In a small blurb, it covered the issue.

You have one resident that doesn't like the idea of arrows zipping around children. On the face of it, that's not an unreasonable issue, even if you disagree with it.

And I can tell you why people have concern over this issue. When Bubba Hunter goes out into his backyard and fires off a few at his local target, he's really surprised when, while skying his bow, he fires an "Oooppppps!". Looks around and nobody saw him do it. Oh well, no harm, no foul. But then he never retrieves his arrow cause he's afraid someone WILL see him then.

And guess what. Later that homeowner finds a LETHAL weapon's "bullet" sticking in his ground or doghouse or deck. Now you've got a full-time ANTI and can you blame them?

This happens in residential areas more than you think. Especially if it's a new residential area "out in the country".

Yes, the culprits are probably 8th grade kids but that's what you're up against. So be thoughtful about your own local ANTI's, they usually have some issue that to them is as important as your hunting. Training and education are the only answers that work.

·
Registered
7,790 Posts
Seems strange that only 4 people showed up. Was the meeting publicized or a last minute type thing? You'd think more would have attended, especially if there are more bowhunters living in town...

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
The question is.. Does the town not allow practicing in town either? If they do, the danger already exists. I don't know, I would bring that up at the next meeting however.

·
Registered
11,090 Posts
Seems like a couple folks that are VERY uneducated about archery and bowhunting. I would word a very respectful response explaining the way archery & bowhunting works. Attend the next meeting if you can.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
One restriction that is in place in NH for an island hunt, is that all hunting has to be done out of tree stands. This removes, well drastically reduces, the chance of arrows "flying into yards". Go to the meeting, explain the reality of archery, we are short range hunters who are shooting down at the ground. Missed shots end up in the ground right next what they were shot at.

Also, the line about avid archers not living there, show up and talk. Bring friends etc. Show that that they are surrounded by avid archers.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Sounds like a fair argument to me.

Basic concerns;
- accuracy of hunters
- loose arrows flying into peoples yards
- loose arrows being found by children.

Instead of b!tching about unknowledgable people, how about helping them get educated.

Miane Bowhunters Association worked with Inland Fisheries and Wildlife to create an Urban Hunters Program.

- Must pass Accuracy Test
- Must hunt from treestand/elevation @ 20yds or less to limit horizontal trajectory.
- 100% of arrows/broadheads must be found by the hunter.

Get in touch with other State/City Programs.
Get their policies and present working programs from other jurisdictions and get names of contact people in those areas that can speak positively about how it has worked there.

·
Registered
286 Posts
You could easily lure the deer to a safe shooting location, utilizing timed feeder systems somewhere close to town. Shooting the deer from stands located at the feeders a safe distance from towns people is a no brainier.

If some of the deer need to be taken with rifle, so be it. I shoot rifle, archery and I've even considered falconery. We eat venison three times a week all year long, I will utilize any legal method to put meat on the table.

Rich

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
They should try for a one year "test" season. Take the results and let them speak for themselves. The hunters will win if they give them a chance to prove how effective hunting is.

·
Registered
14,592 Posts
You could easily lure the deer to a safe shooting location, utilizing timed feeder systems somewhere close to town. Shooting the deer from stands located at the feeders a safe distance from towns people is a no brainier.

If some of the deer need to be taken with rifle, so be it. I shoot rifle, archery and I've even considered falconery. We eat venison three times a week all year long, I will utilize any legal method to put meat on the table.

Rich
If they are worried about a 280 fps arrow flying near their kids what are they gonna say about a 3000 fps bullet flying around their kids. that argument didn't have much thought behind it.

·
JB WELD PRO STAFFER
13,079 Posts
adam this is a one punch win for you! Go to the local shop and post fliers up about this asking for names a numbers of those who would support it! A week before the next meeting you call those people up and get it se so that you all show for this and voice all of your opinions. Do your homework and get some facts togather that you coulnd hand out to the Council. Afterwards throw a victory BBQ behing your house:darkbeer:

Get actIVE

·
Registered
286 Posts
If they are worried about a 280 fps arrow flying near their kids what are they gonna say about a 3000 fps bullet flying around their kids. that argument didn't have much thought behind it.

You should try reading a post before replying to it

I SAID: You could easily lure the deer to a SAFE shooting location, utilizing timed feeder systems somewhere close to town.

Now, go ahead and type something else brilliant.

·
Registered
691 Posts
"Walter and Marianne Davis expressed their concern regarding stray arrows and the danger it puts children in.

“If population needs to be controlled, there’s other ways to do it,” Walter Davis said.

The Davises said they were concerned about stray arrows harming their grandchildren when they are playing in the yard."

Well, I see their point. My arrows all have loud beeping, lit knocks. When I go hunting, I just fling a dozen arrows in the air at random points. Then I walk around, listening for the beeping and hope to find something edible stuck to the end of my arrow. It really bums me out when all I manage to stick is someone's pets or grandkids.:dead::icon_jokercolor:

·
Registered
591 Posts
kids stray arrows

Well I dont now what kind of town you live in, but kids have no buisness playing where someone may be trying to stick a deer, playing in the woods is fine just dont get lost and blame it on someone else, stray arrows, Its not a friggin rifle, if the kid is 200 yards away es just fine, unless its really open flat ground and the arrows skid on the ground.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Sounds like a fair argument to me.

Basic concerns;
- accuracy of hunters
- loose arrows flying into peoples yards
- loose arrows being found by children.

Instead of b!tching about unknowledgable people, how about helping them get educated.

Miane Bowhunters Association worked with Inland Fisheries and Wildlife to create an Urban Hunters Program.

- Must pass Accuracy Test
- Must hunt from treestand/elevation @ 20yds or less to limit horizontal trajectory.
- 100% of arrows/broadheads must be found by the hunter.

Get in touch with other State/City Programs.
Get their policies and present working programs from other jurisdictions and get names of contact people in those areas that can speak positively about how it has worked there.
This is the best response in the whole thread. These don't sound like true "antis", just non-hunters with valid concerns and no hunting experience to call on. The response to come from the hunting community will help determine if they become "antis" or instead, educated non-hunters. All they know is what Disney and the media tell them about hunters. It is the job of hunters to get to the meeting and respectfully define who they are and address in specific terms the concerns. If we don't define who we are and why, others will, and then we will whine and get all indignant after we lose all our places to hunt.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
You should try reading a post before replying to it

I SAID: You could easily lure the deer to a SAFE shooting location, utilizing timed feeder systems somewhere close to town.

Now, go ahead and type something else brilliant.
Why don't you go type somthing, that is productive! You are both hunters that are looking for solutions, so why beat each others brains in? The antis love that stuff :mad:.

When you are talking about urban hunting you can seldom get far enough from houses, people etc, for modern firearms which can easily carry 3 miles. You lessen the chances, of having a problem much more with archery equipment.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
This is the best response in the whole thread. These don't sound like true "antis", just non-hunters with valid concerns and no hunting experience to call on. The response to come from the hunting community will help determine if they become "antis" or instead, educated non-hunters. All they know is what Disney and the media tell them about hunters. It is the job of hunters to get to the meeting and respectfully define who they are and address in specific terms the concerns. If we don't define who we are and why, others will, and then we will whine and get all indignant after we lose all our places to hunt.
Good response #2. :wink: We all need to be more active with education. I don't think most people have any idea, what a responsible hunter can do with modern archery equipment. Get with the Boy Scouts, Boys and Girls Clubs etc. and put on demonstrations. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts