Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the Eastern Sportsman Outdoor show yesterday and after walking around the Archery section and being told "watch the cam on the guardian..." (it was dryfired) I got to thinking...

I wouldn't trust 95%+ of the people at the show to draw back my bow. A lot looked like it was the first time they ever saw a bow and I watched more then 1 guy use a release to draw the bow while a crowd of people were walking around them.

Then I got to thinking about these new devices that shoot pellets and paintballs out of bows and got to thinking some more and with what I know about paintball guns (quite a bit)...

And then it occurred to me... Why aren't dealers at these outdoor shows using these paintball shooting devices to prevent dry fires? All that will happen is a harmless burst of air will shoot out of the barrel when they release it. The person drawing the bow gets to feel the release and how the bow reacts and the dealer doesn't have to worry about somone blowing up their bow.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
There is a device that is much like that, only cheaper. It dosen't shoot anything, but the plunger pushes air. It works great for practicing your release.

·
Registered
6,951 Posts
If I'm not mistaken they make a practice device that attaches to any bow taht looks like an arrow that "shoots" into a tube...they could just use them.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Good idea Dredly.. The shop here does it a little differently, but does something along the same lines. When setting peep location, draw length, etc etc , they have two different styles of "safety" releases. Instead of the release having jaws that open they have a formed hook that "grabs" the string or dloop. They don't have to worry about the release going off by accident :eek: .. They'll allow you to draw back any bow in the shop as long as you use one of their safety releases..

Martin

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good idea Dredly.. The shop here does it a little differently, but does something along the same lines. When setting peep location, draw length, etc etc , they have two different styles of "safety" releases. Instead of the release having jaws that open they have a formed hook that "grabs" the string or dloop. They don't have to worry about the release going off by accident :eek: .. They'll allow you to draw back any bow in the shop as long as you use one of their safety releases..

Martin
Only thing to worry about with the releases is somone letting it go ;).. not that I've ever accidently let go of my release before or anything! :zip:

·
Registered
697 Posts
last year, i saw one vendor there had a handle thet slipped over the string and then you put your fingers through a grip and drew the bow. the string was trapped in the handle by your fingers and it was darn near impossible to get your fingers out of the handle while at full draw. was just a flat piece of metal with some holes punched in it. probably only cost around 10 bucks to make and it worked.

going to the show tomorrow myself. is always a good time!

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
There's a product called a Vibracheck Safedraw Shooting System. See attached picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
last year, i saw one vendor there had a handle thet slipped over the string and then you put your fingers through a grip and drew the bow. the string was trapped in the handle by your fingers and it was darn near impossible to get your fingers out of the handle while at full draw. was just a flat piece of metal with some holes punched in it. probably only cost around 10 bucks to make and it worked.

going to the show tomorrow myself. is always a good time!
ehh it wasn't that good. (sorry to ruin it). The only reason I'll go back is if I'm looking to book a trip or to shoot the 3-d course (which looked like LOTS of fun!)

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
At the ATA show one of the venders had what looked like brass knockles but it was made of black plastic.It sayed sideways on the string and you would but three fingers in it to draw.Looked like a very good idea.

Bob

·
has been that never was
14,362 Posts
Someone has a wrist strap type release style device that has a large, deep hook on the end only it has no trigger so you cannot fire the bow with it.

I guess you could let go of tension and rip your arm out, but the bow would be safe.. :becky:

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Someone has a wrist strap type release style device that has a large, deep hook on the end only it has no trigger so you cannot fire the bow with it.

I guess you could let go of tension and rip your arm out, but the bow would be safe.. :becky:
I like it! hell I'd encourage people to let go of the release "just to see" heheh

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
LAS uses one of the plunger types with a tube and an "arrow" that shoots into the tube which disperses the air pressure for making sure releases fit. I've see the release that's not really a release, it's just a hook, too. they use it on a recurve with an arrow that's marked for measuring draw length.

I didn't know they make paintball parts or whatever for bows, are people using them to play bow-paintball?

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
The release with the large hook works fairly well. The local shop I frequent uses this.
Not trying to highjack the thread. But what makes me nervous is the "new" people or even the experienced ones that just walk up to a bow and pull it back in the shop.
I would put a lock on each and every bow I had if I owned a shop. This would eliminate the people that just walk in and pull a bow back right off the shelf while nobody is looking.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I was in the sportmans warehouse in Richland Washington last fall. I watched this guy pick up a bow, I think it was a bowtech, draw it back, and when it hit the back wall he let go of the string and then dropped the bow. He then picked it up drew it back again and dry fired it again. He didn't drop the bow the second time. And then he complained about the solid back wall on the bow like it was the bows fault he didn't know what he was doing. I didn't see anybody in the archery department say a thing to the guy. Later I went back and asked them if I could try one of the parallel limb bows and they had me go to the back and shoot an arrow through it, they wouldn't just let me draw it back so I guess they decided not to let anybdy just pick one up and draw it back anymore.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I use the Tru-Fire safety release in the shop everyday for setting up bows. They can anchor properly then it is easy to set up peep sights and kissers. With no risk of a dry fire, except for breaking the D loop.

·
Registered
14,506 Posts
. With no risk of a dry fire, except for breaking the D loop.
which can still happen and why i would never draw a bow without an arrow....if your in a shop i dont see why people cant aim at a target (even up close) with an arrow nocked.....to each his own though.....

·
Registered
38 Posts
which can still happen and why i would never draw a bow without an arrow....if your in a shop i dont see why people cant aim at a target (even up close) with an arrow nocked.....to each his own though.....
X 2 and still safer to draw and shoot the bow (with an arrow) instead of trying to let up which can easily end up derailing any bow and cause damage to the bow and possible injury to the shooter.
The shop I go to has a small tuning room with a back stop which is great for trying a bow, release, setting draw length, peep sights etc. without stopping the range shooters to go up close to shoot.
JMO
PS this is a 7 year old thread but still may help many.

·
"Keep Hammering"
8,066 Posts

Martin
Safety release isn't going to help you if the dloop breaks!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts